Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do some clutch work. I tried to start today and I was unable to remove the right side crankcase cover.

My bike is a 2004 Shadow 750 Aero.

I have a 2005 service manual so I'm not 100% sure if it matches my bike entirely.

I removed what I believe are all of the bolts - 14 of them. Then I couldn't get it off. It appears the cover has been off before and closed using a liquid sealant (there's small amounts of light/white along the mating edge).

So far I've
- Pulled really hard on the lower left edge of the cover (only place I can get my hands around it to pull outward)
- Hit that left side with a hammer from behind (various ways - with a rubber mallet, with a hammer and wood block, etc)
- Hit a little lip at the lower right corner of the cover from behind (at the bottom/front of the frame area) using different combinations of hammers and wood or metal pieces)
- Tried to push a putty knife in at various places
- Grunted and cussed

I did think I heard some sound at times when I pull really hard on the cover from the left side. But otherwise it still seems the same as when I started

Am I missing anything? Should I just keep going like this? Try to hit it harder? Are there other tricks?

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,174 Posts
My understanding is that there is no gasket just sealant from the factory and 2004 is the same as 2005.
That and the dowel pins are probably all that is holding it on, the dowels are going to want to keep the cover coming off straight and not going to want to be pried off at an angle and depending on the sealant it can be glued on there good as you are finding.
Just work it around with a thin sharp putty knife to separate the sealant that is playing glue, don't gouge the surfaces, paying extra attention at the ends around the dowels and eventually you will win.
Good luck.
P.S. If it is really cold where you are working make it warm with a heater or a heat gun or something.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,976 Posts
I’ve never heard of a sealant being THAT resistant to physical force… But there shouldn’t be anything else holding it on. Make doubly sure of that, no bolts, other shafts or anything leading into it… I would try cutting away that sealant in a section and getting in there with a (covered) flat tip screwdriver. Careful, because you don’t want to hurt the aluminum cover! With as much area as you can get on the screwdriver blade, pry out, lightly at first, but go to as hard as you dare… Look for any sort of movement.

Could be you might need to follow @CSRoad ’s suggestion of cutting all the way around with the knife…

·
Registered
08 Honda Shadow Aero
18 Posts
I had my crankcase cover off a couple weeks ago and it was VERY hard to remove also. The manual suggested making a slide hammer out of a really long bolt and screwing it into the bolt holes for the chrome cover which I was going to do but it finally popped off. There is one place behind the rear jug that I was able to put a shorter screwdriver and pry against the engine and the cover and that is what got it loose and off. Use the recommended sealant or equivalent when going back together and clean both sides well and you will not have a leak. I had mine off and on 3 times till I solved my problem so patience is a virtue. DO NOT mar either mating surface!! I used my fingernail and a razer blade then brake clean and electrical solvent cleaner before I put the sealer on. I also used 2 of the bolts that held on the chrome cover and screwed them into the crankcase cover then was able to maneuver the cover in and tilt it so as not to hit the frame and mess up my sealant when going back together. Good luck!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I got it off today. I did some more scraping along the edge with a putty knife, which cleared off some of the sealant along that outside edge. While doing it, I felt like that wouldn't make much difference. But, after that, it didn't take much more hammering to get it off.

I did run into more trouble already - putting it back on. I over-torqued some bolts. I tried looking up the torque value and failed colossally by misreading in two separate places. Short version is I should have used about 7 lb-ft and used double that. I stretched probably 2 or 3 bolts, so I will inspect all the bolts and probably replace a few. I can hardly believe I was so stupid! Hope it is only the bolts that are messed up, and not the threads on the engine case. I did remove one of them. Part of the bolt is stretched and thinner, so I expect that the case threads are ok.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,174 Posts
Well at least you didn't snap them.
You are not the first and you won't be the last to misread a torque value, I'd could lie and say I've never done it, but nobody would believe me. (-;

Anyway congratulations on getting that sucker unglued.

·
Registered
08 Honda Shadow Aero
18 Posts
Glad you got it off. You can replace those bolts at a hardware store. What sealer did you use when you went back together? Just curious what was your clutch problem?

·
Registered
643 Posts
ON Sale Right Now! And the Solution so That Never Happens Again!!
Say what ya want bout HarborFreigt TW's but they're Great and Very easily calibrated!
(Calabrate TW with $5 LuggageScale {SkipTheAd})
Cant Beat Em for the Price...
Link-> https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-63881.html
Product Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

I've picked up a 1/4 & 3/8 on sale - work great. They're close outa the box and zeroed right in using that calibrate vid.
1 Ft/Lb = 12 In/lb, so 7 ft/lb = 84 in/lb - Easy peasy...
Real Wrenchers Use Torque Wrenches!
(And Don't FUBAR their own Stuff)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts