Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my friends,so a few of you might remember I had a 1986 1100 shadow,after finally getting up and running I sold it to by a much newer Honda shadow.i bought a 2004 Honda shadow aero,now as much as I like my new bike,I have yet to take it on a trip long enough to run it low on gas.my older shadow had a gas gauge.my new one does not,so my question is,do I just keep track of mileage,and if so,what's is average mileage,or is there a light that comes on letting me know I'm low on gas

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Next time you fill it up, reset the trip odometer. Run it till its empty (switch it to reserve), make note of the mileage on the trip odometer. Then reset it so you know how many miles you've traveled on your reserve. Then go to the gas station because you have around 20 miles or so before you are walking. The mileage will change slightly depending on how hard it is ridden, but will give you an idea of how much fuel you have in the tank.

IMPORTANT!!
Remember to switch it back to run the next time you get gas or when you think your at reserve again, you'll be bone dry.

Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
649 Posts
IMPORTANT!!
Remember to switch it back to run the next time you get gas or when you think your at reserve again, you'll be bone dry.

Don't ask me how I know.

LMAO, LOL

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've always reset the mileage on anything I put gas in too.i always fill it up,but you would think such an attractive bike Honda made,they would have at the least put in a dummy light.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Um, why do you need a light when the Reserve function lets you know when you have 1 gallon left.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You don't realize how much you will miss that gas gauge until it's not there. It does of course have the trip-o-meter. Now I have to actually THINK.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I believe the gas light only turns on when the engine switches to reserve .... to alert the rider of the switch. On my neighbor's sports bike, has gas light, the reserve is not manual, if I understood him correctly. I suppose there are gas lights that require you to switch to reserve manually by turning the fuel lever. If you're meaning instead a gas gauge that's a bit more advanced technology. Otherwise, if you pay attention to your trip-o-meter as a matter of routine, it serves the same purpose as a gas light. Mentally you assign a mile marker to your tripmeter, 100 miles, etc., for the ETA to the nearest gas station.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
On my Fury, the light comes on when theres half a gallon left i think and there is no reserve.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I know how to use the trip meter former the miles.but I just bought the bike,filled it up and te realized that there's no fuel light at all.i can learn the mileage I get out of it,but you would think such a nice looking motorcycle would at the least have a light for the fuel warning

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Why not do what I do, instead of running your bike until it is empty, start looking for fuel at sixty miles then top it up, that way you will never run out..

John.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have an 04 Aero and I can get ~90 miles before switching to reserve which works out to right at 30-32 mpg. Frankly seems a little low to me. Have had it to two highly recommended shops for improvement but so far no real change. I ride about 300 miles per week so keep a close watch on the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The only way i got 30 mpg on my 750 was if i ran 85+ on the x-way the whole tank. Otherwise normally i got 95-105 per tank before reserve at which point i would fill up. On the first run of the season (108 miles) i got 54.05mpg and didnt hit reserve.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Lots of stuff can make a big change in MPG. Uphill both ways into a head wind with a windshield @ 80mph and if you weigh 500 lbs all play a part.

That said I look for gas @ 100 miles and will switch to reserve @ about 120 miles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Big difference in MPGs on the 750 in town, vs super slab. I get around 50 mpg's in town, but running 75 mph on the turnpike, it drops way down into the mid 30 mpg's. Taking a trip at highway speeds, would make for a lot of fuel stops.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts