Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm active duty Coast Guard and due to my schedule my bike sat for several months and wasn't properly set to store (didn't drain the fuel from the carb, etc) not smart, I know, but I didn't intend for it to sit that long. Anyway, I put a new battery in yesterday and found it wouldn't idle and ran poorly when I held the throttle. I've done some work with little improvements but need a suggestion for the next step. Here is a list of the things I've done so far:
Yesterday I drained the fuel tank and replaced it with fresh fuel and some sea foam.
This morning I pulled the carb and cleaned the gunk from the bowl. and pulled the jet closest to the outside of the carb but I dodn't have an exploded view to be able to tell you which is which and cleaned it, it was gummed up and there was varnish in the bowl. I cleaned the floats and the area around them and the throat of the carb.
I repaired a couple of cracked vaccum lines.
I put new plugs in today.

It still won't idle. If I hold the throttle open some it will rev, it vibrates a lot more than before but will run. If I bump the throttle it pops in the exhaust, but not a loud backfire.

Possible thoughts...crack in the fuel supply lines that run toward the rear of the bike toward what appear to be fuel filters? I don't have a manual for the bike and while I plan to order one I need to get the bike running a.s.a.p. I've got an appointment to get a new tire and inspection on Tuesday morning.
Bad fuel pump? I can see plenty of fuel moving in the carb when I turn the throttle.
Somehow the fuel/air mixture is now not set well? This bike ran like a charm when I parked it.
Idle adjustment problem?
Anything?
What should be the next route to take? Help me, oh lords of the two wheeled world!

Thanks for your time,
R/T

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a problem exactly like this with my 2001 VTX600 shadow deluxe. What ended up finally working to make it idle was trying to run it without the air filter. Although this had it idling, it developed a new problem. It refused to idle when in gear. If I could figure out that problem I would certainly tell you what to do, but I need help just like you.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Most likely need to pull the carb again and clean "all" the jets, idle, slow, and main if it was that dirty, or you may get lucky running some(lots) seafoam through it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've honestly done that four or five times. It finally started to idle but it doesn't when being put into gear. any suggestions for that?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If it is clean,(take it apart, jets out,needle valves clean, carb slide membrane good/no holes rips) all jets and fuel passages and jetted properly(stock?)and air screws set right it should idle and run in gear, make sure air box to carb is tight, carb to manifold and intake is tight.

Any obstructions in the air box/filter if it only runs with filter out sounds like it's starved for air, or running extremely rich.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just checked all that again, idling but still at a low RPM. When I go to give it a little throttle it shuts off. Not sure what is causing that one.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sounds like the idle circuit is messd up, you've checked that all the vacuum lines are hooked up and are in good shape and the slide is good, check the idle jet again, idle screw is set right, you can get small cleaning kits that have different size wires that match the jet sizes and you insert them through the jets to clean them. Without having the carb in front of me I can only suggest checks. If you're having no luck your local shop that has experience with carbs may be your next best solution, carbs can be a pain in the @ss, and it may be something as simple as a hose or a clogged fuel filter if your bike has one, I know the Aero doesn't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im actually having the same problem with an 83 VT750, I started the project a long time ago, sold it, and now I have it back again nearly complete, i finally got it to start, at first it would rev up and stay running at higher RPM's but not Idle, and now it will Idle, but dies when the throttle is even barely touched. I have been reading a couple forums so I am gonna start troubleshooting on monday when I have a couple days off!

·
Registered
11 Posts
well here is a new development. I let it run for a little while, revving it and all, and the idle returned to normal and it was acting like it did before. the only thing left that is abnormal is that it doesn't want to start when it's cold. its probably just the spark plugs but i'm not sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts