Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2005 honda shadow 750 aero. I was wanting to get a new frame and swap the engine, however I am not sure what years have the same frame specs. Can someone please let me know what years the frame of the honda shadoe aero woul be compatible? Would be highly appreciated, thank you!!!!

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
if I had to swap EVERYTHING over to a new frame, I personally would look for a better looking frame. You can install some of the weirder placed stuff in easier to access places and get, well, a cleaner looking frame.
Seems like such a waste to just go back stock. Modifying a mount or 4 isn’t bad at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if I had to swap EVERYTHING over to a new frame, I personally would look for a better looking frame. You can install some of the weirder placed stuff in easier to access places and get, well, a cleaner looking frame.
Seems like such a waste to just go back stock. Modifying a mount or 4 isn’t bad at all.
My plan is to repair my bike and trade it in for a bigger bike since I was planning on upgrading before this happened anyways.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,550 Posts
Years that will work:

·
Registered
609 Posts
What do you do about the VIN if replacing the frame? I'd check on how you get the title straight after swapping frames or you may end up with a machine you can't sell.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Out of curiosity, i had to look, appears 2004, 05 and 06 are the same. Might be better off to just part it out on Ebay. Save a lot of time and money .

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
664 Posts
What do you do about the VIN if replacing the frame? I'd check on how you get the title straight after swapping frames or you may end up with a machine you can't sell.
In most states buying a titled frame is totally legal as long as the papers are clear and you don’t need to touch the VIN tag. The problem with VIN tags is they require a dismantlers license to touch or move legally, but if you buy a cleanly titled frame and swap everything over you essentially did the same thing as buying the motorcycle with that frames VIN, so long as you don’t have to touch the VIN tag to do the work and the frame with VIN wasn’t reported for total loss you’ll be fine. Just have to be sure the VIN on the frame that is purchased is clean and clear with no issues, personally I would register the VIN for tags since I live in a no-inspection state that way before I swapped anything over I could ensure I will be able to tag the finished project.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,417 Posts
It varies greatly from state to state.
Some places (Ohio maybe?) can't transfer a title with a frame.

I vote part it out yourself or shop it around and sell it to a salvage yard or as a complete parts bike to someone.

Here in Ontario Canada, a motorcycle may be written off by the insurance company, but the only branding for bikes is "none" or "irreparable" and irreparable is typically frame damage and then the bike VIN is black listed and cannot be registered ever.
Since it doesn't take much to have an insurance company financially write off an older Honda there are aome pretty good bikes with clean titles (Branding: "none") that hit the auctions and get to salvage yards, where the title stays with the frame and VIN. Typically due to the extra hassles involved with transfer, frames are expensive here. Then you can register it as a complete motorcycle in your name as "unfit" using the registration title and money. Once you get it all together you have to have it safety inspected and have proof of insurance for that VIN then you can pay more money and get plates and stickers and the unfit is removed.
Like states this stuff also varies from province to province and if an international border is involved there are federal import rules, which are a further obstacle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts