Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, ive got a 2005 honda vlx 600 custom, bike had been running fine then i parked it for a week and went out to start it and the battery was dead, i charged it back up and tried to start it back up but no start, it just turned over a couple times and then click click., still had all lights and turn signals etc, just no start. charged battery again and checked voltage and it showed 11 volts. have not checked battery under a load but when it ran down so fast i figure battery is bad. does this sound about right to everyone to just change the battery? this is a two part issue not related but upon trying to start the bike i noticed the end of my cobra pipes were wet with raw fuel. not i did leave the fuel on for several days forgetting to turn it off, not sure if that would cause fuel to run past and into the exhaust. i checked the oil it looked fine , not over full or bad fuel smell. just not sure how this could happen.. as i said the bike ran perfect when i last road it a week ago.. could leaving the on, off, res. fuel valve in the on position have caused fuel to get passed . previous owner had bypassed vac. operated auto fuel shut off valve.. which never was a problem before. i appriciate any advice i can get on both these issue, .

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,959 Posts
Replace the battery and then check to see if the charging system is putting out about 13.5 to 14.5 volts when revved up to 2-3000 RPM. Look at the 3 yellow wire connector from the stater, It is famous for burning the connections.

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
Your engine is flooding and that should be fixed first. Most likely a float problem in your Carb(s). Then you need to change your oil because it was diluted with fuel. Then you need to troubleshoot the battery and charging issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your engine is flooding and that should be fixed first. Most likely a float problem in your Carb(s). Then you need to change your oil because it was diluted with fuel. Then you need to troubleshoot the battery and charging issue[/QUOTE.]

As per tech advise, I took a clear hose attaching it to the float bowl drain running the hose up and along side even with tge top of float bowl . Opened the drain and turned on fuel pet ****, the fuel in tge clear hose only came up in the hose to equal the top of the float bowl then stopped, which I read meant the float is NOT STUCK, I did this after tapping on bottom of carb. What does this sound like to you, thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ive done a little more research before removing carb but I took someone's advice and put a clear piece of rubber tubing over the float bowl drain port, then opened the float bowl drain screw and turned on petcock to on or reserve, lifting the hose along side the car and to the level of the float. And that is as far as the gas ran up to tube and stopped, I've read this means the float and needle shut off are fine. Any other ideas, maybe by tapping on the carb helped, guess I'll change oil and try again

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,959 Posts
I haven't tried the clear tube on the drain pipe but there are a few videos about doing that. It may be a valid test.

Here is a video about setting the floats with the carb at an angle to get the correct setting.

Reactions: garys 600 vlx
1 - 6 of 6 Posts