Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the bug recently and thinking about riding again.
A nice looking 2006 750 Aero popped up on my Facebook marketplace. I contacted the guy and supposed to look at it tomorrow.
It has 17000 miles on it and he's asking $2500. It looks nice enough and I believe he's the 2nd owner.
My question to you folks: What is the life expectancy of a 2007 750cc Shadow?
I didn't think 17000 miles was an unreasonable amount of miles for a bike. I searched Google for model problems and issues and one of the links is telling me that 17K miles is high mileage for a 750 and problems are probably around the corner..
What do the enthusiasts have to say on this subject?
I did enjoy the 1984, 700cc shadow of my youth, but it had fewer miles and wasnt 15 years old..
Would appreciate some shared experience on this..
Chris

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
564 Posts
Personally I don't know the 06 Aero so I'll leave the technical side to the ones who can tell you about it.

A low mileage bike could also mean the bike have been sitting for some time. Although being 16yr old it means 1k miles per year which seems reasonable.
More important is how you feel about it when you sit and have a feel of the bike.
Things to look for would be condition of the tyres, oil on places that is shouldn't be there. However, I am sure you know that already.
Should you get it, enjoy it and have fun :)

·
Registered
08 Honda Shadow Aero
43 Posts
Hopefully the previous owner has maint. records for you. Check tire date code for the age of the tires. Coolant and oil change, final drive oil, air filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, fork oil, valve adjustment are all things I serviced when I bought my 08 Aero back in July. Check the condition of all hoses. I paid $2600+taxes on my 08 at that time. Enjoy the Aero if you buy it.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
743 Posts
Howdy chrisb256!

I don't think 17,000 miles on an '06 Aero is high. If the bike has been garage kept and well maintained, you'll have lot's and lot's of trouble free miles ahead. My '03 1100 Spirit only has 22,000 miles and is completely trouble free. My '98 Valkyrie has 75,000 miles and is also completely trouble free. I have rebuilt the carbs on both, but other than that, I've mostly only performed general maintenance as per factory maintenance schedules. (Those Honda engineers are pretty smart!)

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought my 06 aero with 28k on it at 33k now still runs perfectly and I got it with a salvage title for 2200 and aint upset about the price at all

·
Registered
08 Honda Shadow Aero
43 Posts
Just got the bug recently and thinking about riding again.
A nice looking 2006 750 Aero popped up on my Facebook marketplace. I contacted the guy and supposed to look at it tomorrow.
It has 17000 miles on it and he's asking $2500. It looks nice enough and I believe he's the 2nd owner.
My question to you folks: What is the life expectancy of a 2007 750cc Shadow?
I didn't think 17000 miles was an unreasonable amount of miles for a bike. I searched Google for model problems and issues and one of the links is telling me that 17K miles is high mileage for a 750 and problems are probably around the corner..
What do the enthusiasts have to say on this subject?
I did enjoy the 1984, 700cc shadow of my youth, but it had fewer miles and wasnt 15 years old..
Would appreciate some shared experience on this..
Chris
Well Chris did you buy it?? Inquiring minds like to know?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not buy it.. Just not a good time to make that decision.
Will take into consideration when Spring gets closer..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 06 750 spirit and have had no troubles. I do quite a bit of preventive maintance but havent found any thing to bother me. The chain and sprockets were starting to show some wear but thats normal. Its a great bike, as long as its been maintained.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Prices will be higher in the spring... December and January are the good months to shop, Feb not so much with spring right around the corner, I believe people tend to sit on them until late march or April hoping to get more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts