Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the bike and was doing a tune up on it while i was doing it i tore one of the spark plug wires out of the boot/cap i pulled it out while taking the wire out i noticed where it connects to the ignition coil is a screw in type connector best way i can explain it. Not sure if i should just change both ignition coils while i have the bike apart or not because i can not find the right wire anywhere and all the universal plug wires have the plug connection on both ends. Any words of advice or tricks i could try? This is my first bike so i don't have much knowledge when it comes to working on them.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,032 Posts
Must be a 750 Spirit if it is a VT750DC.

The cable is copper core 7mm with 5,000 Ohm resistor plug ends.
Just cut a 1/4" off the end of the cable so that you can see fresh copper wire at the end in the middle.
Clean the screw in the end cap and then screw it back together.
There you go you just fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other question @CSRoad do you know anything about the coils? would it be possible to change the wires without changing the ignition coils as well because i haven't had much luck finding wire sets with the right connector on the coil side of the plug it screws in. thank you.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,032 Posts
The stock wires are held in the coil by a plastic nut/collar and sealed with an o-ring.
# 7, 8, 9, 10 are the stock wires in the picture, the plug ends are extra.
That is one place with them, but there are lots of places on line to buy them.

The stock Honda (NGK made) wires are good and are suited to the ignition type.
Don't go using universal automotive resistor type cables.
If you decide to make your own replacements from bulk cable using the existing bits it is best to stick to the 7mm copper core NGK wires.
Sometimes you can get it at small engine repair shops or online.
The NGK racing stuff is the similar, red and more expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts