Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 19 years old, and a student at University of Florida. I bought the bike in the fall from Valdosta, GA with 7,000 miles, like new. On the ride back to central Florida, The engine slowly seized to a hault, later I thought it was possible that I ran out of gas. However, this problem has taken place 5-8 times now, and usually starts back up within 15 minutes. Some probable causes are:
- a floater in the gas tank that sinks down over the fuel intake
- A weak fuel pump
- running out of gas

The bike also pops, coughs, or backfires when I let off on the throttle in lower gears. It has an aftermarket, cobra exhaust, but the previous owner said the bike was rejetted to suit the exhaust. I want to find the issue with the bike so I can prevent these stalls. If you have any troubleshooting tips or ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Check to make sure your tank vent tube is not plugged or crimped. If no air can get in, no fuel can get out.

Symptoms/things to check: when you are riding, you will "run out of gas" sometime in the first 20 miles or so and then you have to wait for it to start up again? Try pulling over and taking off the fuel cap. See if it makes a suction sound as it comes off and see if the bike starts right back up. If so, your tank is not vented properly.

Check the vent tube, make sure it is not crimped, flattened, or plugged. On one of my bikes (not a Honda), my vent tube was really long and was always falling between the frame and the tank. So I cut the tube to a shorter length and then put a small vent filter on it. No problems since.

These tanks are totally airtight.

The popping on decel is normal - lots of posts around here to get rid of it (if it bugs you) basically a carb adjustment. Do a search.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
After you check everything DuoDS recommend, try this also....

Run half of a $9 can of Seafoam through it, and adjust out the A/F screw's to 3-3.5 turns out. P.O. may have re-jetted it, maybe just said that. After all, you must remove carb and dis-assemble to verify. If it pops/cracks as much as you say....I bet it's stock jets. OR, whoever did it, didn't get it right. Either is very good possibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts