Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow hey there New to this site But I can say that my mind is certainly at ease Hearing of the coolant woes From people with the same issue seems like these bikes are very finicky when it comes to Coolant air and pressure I just purchased this beautiful bike last Saturday brought it home unloaded it rode it for about 2 miles when I came home it started burping antifreeze all over the driveway out of the coolant reservoir hose Immediately I had that low feeling in my Stomach The dreaded blown head gasket the bike runs great 21,000 miles on it fires right up no smoke no antifreeze in the oil no discoloration on the spark plugs.I’m off to get a radiator cap first will go from there I’m gonna enjoy this site Thanks for all the good threads I’d be happy to hear any input on my situation thank you everyone blessings.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The low hanging fruit is the best starting point.
The cap is the easiest, my next one if that doesn't solve it would be checking the thermostat.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My .02: QUIT adding coolant. It has all it wants already in it. For every ounce you add, it sounds like an ounce comes out. Leave it be. The little bit difference from the top of the neck to the fluid level isn't going to make a whits bit of difference as long as what's in there is clean and your pump is working. Just letting it sit there and idle isn't a good thing either, fan running or not. A lot of these water cooled bikes need both the radiator coolant and wind across the fins to keep the engine running cool. Take it and ride it. If you aren't overheating going down the road, you are good to go.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I am not too concerned about the coolant venting but I am concerned the fan came on with a 2 mile ride. What was the outside temperature where you rode and how much idling did you do. My fan rarely comes on, about once a month in 15 minute traffic jam.

G.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I am not too concerned about the coolant venting but I am concerned the fan came on with a 2 mile ride. What was the outside temperature where you rode and how much idling did you do. My fan rarely comes on, about once a month in 15 minute traffic jam.

G.
That's because all the snow and ice that builds up around your engine when you ride keeps it cool:LOL::ROFLMAO: Crazy dang Canadians!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow hey there New to this site But I can say that my mind is certainly at ease Hearing of the coolant woes From people with the same issue seems like these bikes are very finicky when it comes to Coolant air and pressure I just purchased this beautiful bike last Saturday brought it home unloaded it rode it for about 2 miles when I came home it started burping antifreeze all over the driveway out of the coolant reservoir hose Immediately I had that low feeling in my Stomach The dreaded blown head gasket the bike runs great 21,000 miles on it fires right up no smoke no antifreeze in the oil no discoloration on the spark plugs.I’m off to get a radiator cap first will go from there I’m gonna enjoy this site Thanks for all the good threads I’d be happy to hear any input on my situation thank you everyone blessings.
Hate to tell you this but. You got a blown head gasket, mostlikley the reason the po sold it some close to gone hg start to leak when the motor is warm. Bring it back if you have the chance.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
You might replace the thermostat and run it for a test.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
While it is a possibility I don't think it is a head gasket.
Normally on these engines a head gasket will show as white exhaust and/or gray colored oil as well as the typical air bubbles in the cooling system.
According to the original post the oil looks fine and there is no white smoke.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
Take the rad cap off and run it to see if the fluid rolls out normally as it warms up or blasts out from compression pressure.

If you are still in doubt find someone that has a block check kit and see if it turns the fluid yellow from blue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey fellas took a while for this project to get finished mainly to find time. I know it’s important to comment on the fix for the next guy yes indeed the boiling over of the coolant out of the reservoir tube Was due to a bad thermostat and replaced the cap as well the bike still seems like it’s running warm though the light isn’t coming on however the fan seems to be operating quite often in intervals and the weather out is only 60 to 65° does that sound normal? Thanks and stay Healthy.
Blessings

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Was the thermostat stuck open or closed? Open should just take longer to warm up. Closed I thought doesn't circulate through reserve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was the thermostat stuck open or closed? Open should just take longer to warm up. Closed I thought doesn't circulate through reserve.
It in fact was stuck closed.Which resulted in coolant not getting to the radiator and just boiling out of reservoir tube.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I keep thinking the problem was more likely the rad cap because I don't think the thermostat would cause boiling out the reserve since the reserve is not part of that system but I see where you also replaced the rad cap which I suspect can affect the reserve tank overflow hose so resolved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts