Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally got my license and insurance (still no title or registration unfortunately) for my 2007 vt750dc and I took it on the first drive today. I noticed 2 concerning things:
1. Coolant temp light came on red for a bit, went off after driving in higher gears keeping the rpms low and it was a cold day (for LA). Also there's quite a bit of popping from the exhaust when I let off the gas and am slightly engine braking I guess. Is that a sign its running lean? It's the stock exhaust but I suspect the baffle at the end (if there is one) was removed. It's pretty loud.
2. There's a bit of vibration/shaking of the front wheel. I noticed it at idle at a stop, and the shaking stops when I squeeze the front break.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Also worth mentioning, apparently the bike was fully serviced before I got it so it should have new coolant in it, or so I'm told.
The oil looks brand new so maybe the coolant was done too. I just put a radiator cover on it, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WV7751...abc_MEJPRQ7Y1VV1T4R0AT2A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This one. That wouldn't be enough to restrict airflow to the point of overheating for a little bit, would it? I didn't drive it very far, mostly in traffic but did give it a few good pulls, nothing crazy. Bike is running and riding great besides these 2 things.
Radiator didn't look great, but not terrible either, when I was putting the cover on.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

when I got the bike vs after I got it running and detailed it. (Blisters all over my fingers from trying to polish the spokes, only did one side of the front wheel and it took a good 4 hours. Any tips for cleaning really dirty and dull spokes would be greatly appreciated. I used a chrome cleaner with 0000 steel wool, then moto floss with metal polish to finish)

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,752 Posts
When it is cooled down take the radiator cap off and see if it is completely full of coolant. That is the way it should be. Good idea to test the fan operation by grounding the sensor wire on the lower part of the radiator to make sure it CAN work.
If it is a one wire sensor the radiator has to be grounded. A small wire radiator to the frame does that.

The decel pop is pretty normal with this type spark system and will be louder with open pipes.

Reactions: JackMike

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,239 Posts
when I got the bike vs after I got it running and detailed it. (Blisters all over my fingers from trying to polish the spokes, only did one side of the front wheel and it took a good 4 hours. Any tips for cleaning really dirty and dull spokes would be greatly appreciated. I used a chrome cleaner with 0000 steel wool, then moto floss with metal polish to finish)
[/QUOTE]
Looks MUCH better after the work you put in to the clean n polish.

Reactions: JackMike

·
Registered
643 Posts
(Blisters all over my fingers from trying to polish the spokes, only did one side of the front wheel and it took a good 4 hours. Any tips for cleaning really dirty and dull spokes would be greatly appreciated. I used a chrome cleaner with 0000 steel wool, then moto floss with metal polish to finish)
Save your Fingers!
Get a can a Original Gunk engine cleaner - and - a long handled plastic toilet brush.
Wet & spray on a little Gunk, let it soak a couple minutes then hit it with the toilet brush.& hose rinse, repeat multiple times, 1 can a Gunk should get both wheels many times...
Those spokes are Stainless steel (not chrome/chromed - probaably doesnt like steelwool/may dull em) - Just gettin all the greasy/gooy sticky road grit off em with Gunk, degreaser and light oil should bring the Stainless spokes back to life(satin stainless) quite nicely.. Gunk & a plastic toilet brush is Much easier on the hands, easy to the hubs too.
Nice Bike! [email protected] Black & Chrome, the Fastest Color (and much like mine)

And get on that heat light Immediately!!! These Honda's are quite bulletproof, but overheating can be your worst enemy - Asian blend AntiFreeze Only!
And MakeSure that Fan Works ASAP!!! That fan Should kick on within 5-10 minutes(usually less) just sittin there ideling all by itself...Mine will, and it will kick on quite often in city stop/go traffic! With Stock exhaust it's easy to hear.
If you havent ever heard that fan knick on yet - Get some help and get on that Fast! Heat's a Killer on aluminum Heads!!!

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Save your Fingers!
Get a can a Original Gunk engine cleaner - and - a long handled plastic toilet brush.
Wet & spray on a little Gunk, let it soak a couple minutes then hit it with the toilet brush.& hose rinse, repeat multiple times, 1 can a Gunk should get both wheels many times...
Those spokes are Stainless steel (not chrome/chromed - probaably doesnt like steelwool/may dull em) - Just gettin all the greasy/gooy sticky road grit off em with Gunk, degreaser and light oil should bring the Stainless spokes back to life(satin stainless) quite nicely.. Gunk & a plastic toilet brush is Much easier on the hands, easy to the hubs too.
Nice Bike! [email protected] Black & Chrome, the Fastest Color (and much like mine)

And get on that heat light Immediately!!! These Honda's are quite bulletproof, but overheating can be your worst enemy - Asian blend AntiFreeze Only!
And MakeSure that Fan Works ASAP!!! That fan Should kick on within 5-10 minutes(usually less) just sittin there ideling all by itself...Mine will, and it will kick on quite often in city stop/go traffic! With Stock exhaust it's easy to hear.
If you havent ever heard that fan knick on yet - Get some help and get on that Fast! Heat's a Killer on aluminum Heads!!!
The flames add an extra 7hp, don't forget about the flames!
Just ripped it around the San Gabriel mountains and no issues with the coolant light coming on. It only comes on in traffic, but then goes right off once I start driving again. I read somewhere someone had a similar problem and it was the thermostat, im afraid to try taking it out and testing it though. For some reason the manual that came with this bike was for the C2, so some things are slightly different on my bike vs the book. My exhaust is stock but loud as hell, so I haven't heard the fan and I keep forgetting to check 🤦‍♂️going to check it on my ride home, but first I need to finish my in-n-out 4x4 animal style. Pray for my arteries

·
Registered
643 Posts
#1 Get the factory service manual - here -> Manuals
Follow instructs, just click, the PDF will open , then save as on your computer, Walla You got the correct manual for your scoot

From there - Read all bout your Scoot....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Oops, perhaps I shoulda been more specific (he shoulda been back with an I got it post by now)
First the full links is "vt750dc.com/maintenance/service-manuals", but it keeps showin up as Manuals.
Then after going to the link, under the heading VT750DC manuals,
the third entry: just click on Shadow Spirit 750 VT750DC Service Manual.pdf (Right click to save file)
which will NOT "Save the file" - it just opens the pdf in your browser.
But with the pdf open in the browser, you can then go the the File menuitem of your browser and then SaveAs a file on your own computer - and ya GotIt on your own computer forevermore (InFullDetail).
(but that also depends on what computer, os and browser one's using... )

Oh well, he'll probably be bach soon, it's easy to get side tracked on that VT750DC.com site, especially if ya got a VT750DC. Its a nice, very informative site with a whole set manuals, mods and goodies.
So when he does get back...

Mi scoot used to have Flames too (when i got it) -

looked like it got whacked with an angleiron - and i got it fixed almost immediately...
Just plain ole [email protected] black now.

It's been a good reliable scoot for over 20K++ miles and still goin fine, an i'm trying to wear it out, but just keeps runnin so good it might last longer than I do. ...
They're nice scoots, just not all that fast, reliable-yes, fast-No, but a very nice local easy runabout..
Mine's all stock, cept for the 38 tooth rear sprocket which really makes it an extra smooth(and quiet) puttabout.
Will check back later to see if the manual gets found...

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,989 Posts
Saw a lot of Shadows with toggle switches on their fans. I’d do that as a last resort, though. As for the Manual, the key is to enjoy the ‘step by step’ instructions, but also to learn the concepts so you can understand the procedures enough to deviate or adapt when necessary…

·
Registered
643 Posts
Haven't heard back from Op/JackMike per manual... hope he found the manual, its got a great pic of the coolin sys
Motor vehicle Font Line Parallel Auto part

And the Fan Motor Switch and previously mentioned Required Ground Terminal is clearly shown!
For sure a personal copy (digital or hardcopy) is a #1 requirement for proper fixes of your scoot...

the #2 requirement is Where, What & other diagrams are available for Parts,Prices and Availability!
OEM parts houses have Great parts catalogs, diagrams and lists - here's an example, Partzilla for Make, Year & model;
Rectangle Font Screenshot World Line

While this is Partzilla - all OEM Honda motercycle parts suppliers will have this same parts catalog, diagrams and lists! If they cant show you the parts catalog and suggested price for the part ypur buyin - they're Not Aurhorized OEM parts suppliers! For anything mission critical(bearings,seals,internals,etc) for your scoot it's always recommend to use Original OEM parts!
There's lots a OEM honda parts suppliers - Just google "Honda OEM motorcycle parts" , and ya know thay're real OEM suppliers cause they all have the same parts catalog lookup, catalog, diagrams, lists with price.

I also noticed ya had some previous posts about a rubber part and a mentioned the red heat had been commin on on ever since ya got the bike( an perhaps an electrical). As just a WAG(WildAssGuess), that rubber piece goes around the thermostat housing and wiring guide, has been messed with incorrectly, and may be related to the cooling fan not workin correctly. ( it may not be the thermostat itself cause revving/circulating the water and getting sone airflow thru the rad shuts the light off).
Hey, just a WAG, ya got the right manual, the parts groups and some good pic.
It might be best to make sure all is put together the way it's supposed to be. - and get that Fan opperatiing like its suppose to!
That's a Nice Scoot (too nice to get ruined by overheating!)

Edit Add:
checkout some related threads on "radiator fan"
that rubber mount is frequently mentioned.
like this on that fixed the prob - Help heating issue 2006 Sabre

1 - 10 of 10 Posts