Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I'm reserving judgement until I find out how many chrome doodads are available for it.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I think I have more fun on two wheels instead of three> I take that back...I know I do! Just another fad that will probably just fade like many do. I looks to me like they did their homework and built an awsome vehicle. It's not a motorcycle persay, it's a three wheeler, so it's in a totally different catagory. I don't think we'll see them lined up in front of bars like some other popular brands do. Maybe they will catch on to people who are, say vertically challenged, beginers who do not want to deal with balance or maybe some ladies who are a bit shy to get into the whole open-air-riding idea? The video does a good introdution of the vehicle and that always helps the ball rolling. But that's just me. >PD<

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Paulie said:
I'm reserving judgement until I find out how many chrome doodads are available for it.
... and real street price. Anyone remember the $10k premium markup on the late-gen t-birds and the PT Cruisers? Bleh!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Won't mind having one at all!!!! Different riding experience, different riding style. 8)

Many were saying the same about "triking" of the Wings... wasn't going to go over too well.....boy were they wrong!!! :shock: This type "vehicle" would expand the base of riders. Some would be the commuters, and some will be the commuter/weekender and others will be the customizers of these vehicles. But the thing IS...they will be getting into the "riding" thing.

For me, I'd have to find a way to "dis-engage" the VSS system(Vehicle Stability System...traction control). This is a "safety feature" to keep the vehicle safe for YOU. Yeah, right!!! :roll:

Like to get a test ride to check on the power of the V-twin engined vehicle and it's overall capabilities. :twisted: :wink:

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I like it a lot, mostly because I'm always in favor of pushing the technology envelope. I wonder, however, about cornering stability. I assume they have worked it out, but it sure looks like the front suspension would allow the machine to lean away from the apex of the turn rather than toward it and the resulting weight transfer in the wrong direction could make it kind of exciting. This has always been a limiting factor for trikes. The T-Rex is a similar concept, but has the driver/rider sitting very low in front of the engine to reduce the CG and thus the amount of lean.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
MikeB,

That's what the VSS (Vehicle Stabilty System...better known as traction control) is all about. Sorry I didn't include this in my other post. :oops:

"It's a Bosch system with senors at each wheel to monitor wheel speed and there's also a steering angle sensor, yaw sensor and engine management sensor. What is all this about??? By monitoring wheel speed, etc., basically the system makes sure that YOU don't defy the laws of physics. If all three wheels are moving at the same speed the "system" is passive (although it will allow the rear wheel to spin faster than the front in a straight line up to about 35mph, or if it detects that the vehicle is turning). During sudden turns the steering angle sensor determines if the speed is safe for the radius of the turn, and the yaw sensor predicts whether either of the front wheels will come off the ground. If any of these paramenters is exceeded, the system will respond by first "retarding the ignition, then it'll cut off the fuel supply to the engine, and if it's still not enough, the brakes are applied to the outside wheel. The system is always ON- there is no "off" button- which is great for the average rider but a downer for those looking for more sport in their touring." This as stated in the article from my lastest issue of Rider" magazine (April/2007).

It may be a "passive system" but it's intended for the "average user". :roll: You know the type....those that don't have a brain in their head. :shock: Just kinda makes me upset that this vehicle has this system but no "OFF" button.......like those on some of the high end sportscar vehicles(Corvette, Mercedes, Jags, etc). And I know a lot of those folks that have little or no brains to drive those vehicles!!! :x :x :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
That's what the VSS (Vehicle Stabilty System...better known as traction control) is all about.
So it won't let you do anything stupid; what's the fun in that? :lol:

I'd certainly rather see those sensors detect a change in lateral acceleration and cause the thing to lean into the turn. I think there are some other takes on the trike concept that already do this. And the T-Rex I mentioned before advertises a 1.9 G (!) cornering capability without any suspension geometry changes, I think mostly because the driver sits with his butt about 3 inches off the road. That strikes me as a better configuration than putting the rider in the standard motorcycle position, which has always been inefficient with respect to both CG and aerodynamics.

But I'd still love to have one of those things.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
MikeB,

Me thinks (from my investigating front-wheel drive/rear-wheel drive and other configurations of trikes) with this "mid-engined design", rear drive (belt-driven rear wheel) and the high rider/passenger position, this VSS system was mandated by the makers themselves. :( It's not a long enough wheel base (ft/bk) and the wheel width is a tad narrow. The wide tires try to compensate for some of these things...but are limited by the configuration overall. :? Given the past troubles that Honda suffered years ago and the bad conception that "all 3-wheelers" are too dangerous for the driving public. One only has to read "threads" on this board to hear about all those "dummies" on the highway with cell phones, computers, newpaper readers, DVD players, make-up appliers, etc. :roll:

Your T-Rex comparison (it's low CG & lateral G's) is more like I would want as well. Maybe HD will dust off the covered Tri-Hawk patents/plans/maunfautring rights that they bought a few years ago and get that out here for us...dangerous types. That'll be something to drive....mmmm, single or double engined V-Rod engine mounted tranverse up front and a 5/6-speed tranny and NO traction control for dangerous dummies!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bullzeyet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.