Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm getting to the point where I'm going to sell this thing for parts. For the last year and half I've been having an issue with starting the bike, especially when it's been sitting overnight/cold wondering if anyone has any ideas.

It has had new batteries, rec/regs, battery leads and multiple connections checked/redone, multiple starter motors and this issue keeps coming back. Most of the time it sounds like it will only turn the starter motor half way before giving up and has to be bump started every time.

Here's a video of whats happening, (
) this was 2 mins after fitting a brand new fully charged battery as i thought it was just my lithium battery not liking the cold weather in the uk atm so got yet another new battery (prob the 6th or 7th one since march last year)

If it's bump started and ridden for a bit it will start up no problem but if it ridden and left overnight it wont start in the morning, I'm really at my whits end now, 3 mechanics have looked at this bike but the issue keeps coming back.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
Jump start it with a non-running car battery. That will tell you if the starter is at fault because you will have all the crank amps you need for testing. If it cranks fast and normal maybe the start solenoid is failing and can't give a solid connection.
Then try jumping straight to the starter main terminal to see how it CAN work.
Don't forget battery terminal, engine and frame grounds as important at the wiring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jump start it with a non-running car battery. That will tell you if the starter is at fault because you will have all the crank amps you need for testing. If it cranks fast and normal maybe the start solenoid is failing and can't give a solid connection.
Then try jumping straight to the starter main terminal to see how it CAN work.
Don't forget battery terminal, engine and frame grounds as important at the wiring.
It jumps completely fine and solenoid is good, grounds have been checked and all good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Service your starter switch
I have been reading about the starter switch but would thar really be giving me these symptoms? It's as if the starter motor isn't getting enough juice to spin or is being stopped by something but sometimes it will start no problem especially when it's been ridden for 10 mins or so

·
Registered
40 Posts
That DEFINITELY sounds to ME like a battery problem!! It should be cranking WAY faster than THAT! The ONLY time my bike cranks that slow is when the battery is severely low or almost dead. I would also be checking the battery connections, to see if one is loose, but I would also be checking the 3 yellow wires under the seat to see if maybe 1 has separated or melted. That's a VERY common problem with these Hondas, though usually they ALL melt apart with the connector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts