Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I would like to bleed the brakes on my 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 and have a several questions that I am hoping someone can assist with please. Thank you!

1. What is the part number for the OEM Honda rubber diaphragm that goes under the master cylinder cap?

2. Is it recommended to change out the rubber diaphragm each time I open the master cylinder or can I reuse the current one? I have about 2000 miles on this motorcycle.

3. From the 2nd image below, is that the bleed screw?

4. The rear brakes on this motorcycle are drum brakes, right? We do not need to bleed the rear brakes?

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
219 Posts
I have never had a rubber diaphram go bad and need replaceing....so far in 45+ yrs of riding.
Yes thats the bleed screw. Sounds like you may have never done this before so i recommend watching youtube videos...and a bunch of them, after all its youre brakes we are talking about. Basically the same as doing a car. Do you have a friend be there and help you thru this your first time? After all ya dont wanna do something stupid and end up with brake fluid on the paint, not get ALL the air out of the system or create a leak. Not trying to scare you away from learning to do this as its not that hard. But it is youre brakes...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great thanks for the advice and good to know that the rubber diaphragm does not need to be replaced at this time.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,481 Posts

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,211 Posts
I would add that if you are intending to DIY the brake fluid change as suggested once every two years and are keeping the bike for a while, this tool is really helpful. Without it you must squeeze the brake lever and open the valve then close the valve then squeeze etc, etc. What the tool does is creates a vacuum so you can just open the bleed valve and out comes the fluid. Makes the job much simpler and much less time consuming.

Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit (harborfreight.com)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts