Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October 7, 8 & 9 are the dates. Location still TBD.

Following edited to add more information:

If cabins are preferred, here are some that I recently found (kinda) around Mt Airy, NC:
http://fiddlersroostcabins.com/
• Galax, VA
• 6 cabins each with sleeper sofas
• max capacity is 12 to 24, depending on how many will share beds
• B&B = breakfast delivered to each cabin each morning
http://creekcidecabins.com/
• Claudeville, VA
• 2 cabins
• max capacity = 14
http://www.blueridgeresort.com/
better link
• north of Floyd, VA
• 7 cabins built by CCC
• only 1 cabin has private bathroom / outdoor walk to bathhouse for others
• rollaway beds available
http://www.blueridgehideaway.com/
• West Jefferson, NC
• 1 cabin
• max capacity = 4
http://www.chestnutcreekcabins.com/
• Galax, VA
• 4 cabins / 1 & 2 bedroom

Personally, I don't see how any of these would fit our group. Much as I understand the appeal of cabins, I doubt we'll find a site with (1) enough cabins that (2) aren't too rustic.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More on cabins in state parks - North Carolina:
• Morrow Mountain features six cabins. Hanging Rock has ten cabins. All cabins have two bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom and a kitchen. The cabins are rustic, so it's useless to bring your laptop. Leave it at home and enjoy the natural surroundings. Swimming privileges at both parks cost extra and are not included with the cabin rental fee.

• You need to bring your own sheets, towels, cleaning supplies and food. You won't find little bottles of shampoo, so bring your favorite toiletries. You'll need twin sheets for the two bedrooms (each with two twin beds) and double sheets for the futon in the living room. The parks provide pillows and blankets. Each cabin has basic dishes, silverware, pots and pans; you won't find a microwave, TV or DVD player. The parks expect cabin guests to clean the cabins before checking out.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't remember how many cabins we used in Blairsville but they came with everything we needed except the food, beer, and bourbon. There certainly are enough great roads around there that we didn't ride yet. And now we have a guy (hint, hint) in GA who can check out the rides for us. Jo can speak more on how many cabins there were and how we got them last time.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife has chimed in with this suggestion.

On edit: maybe this is a better link. This place looks like it has all the choices we're trying to get. Gotta check about bonfires...

Another edit: There's a motorcycle museum 60 - 80 miles down the BRP from there.

Barry,
There are seven cabins at the place in Georgia. It is a wonderful place but the location is too far for some of the folks who commit AND show up. The cost and limited choices will discourage others. If we want to keep participation under a dozen or so then it is a top-notch choice. If we're looking to have anything approaching 20 then it doesn't seem like it would work out. IMO.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to believe that my wife is so fired up for next year's rally considering how she handled riding pillion on VA16 but she has responded to my thought that Switzerland Inn might be too far for some (Paulie is about 600 miles away, Pete and JoAnn about 550) so she is searching for other spots.

Her latest find -- all cabins. About as rustic as she likes it -- and that's a LOT less so than me. This place has a good location in the heart of outstanding WV riding country -- but it would take us to a state without any east coast.

As she comes up with sites, I'll post the links. I know we're a long way off but I might not have so much free time starting on Monday and Helen's enthusiasm will definitely wane as everyday life takes hold again.

On edit: Here are the first six scenic routes (in purple) from the booklet I picked up (from the Southern West Virginia Convention & Visitors Bureau) mapped. About 20% of the way down from the top, just about the L-R center, there's an image of a cabin showing where Country Road Cabins (latest find) is located:

Those six rides total 800 miles.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Art Switzerland is doable for me. Both seem to be good selections.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paulie said:
Art Switzerland is doable for me. Both seem to be good selections.
Well, we've got more than one rally in the future so I won't stop Helen from scouting more places. The more I look at it, though, the more I think Switzerland Inn is perfect. (Got to ask about bonfires.) There were a couple of negative reviews on TripAdvisor so Helen is harassing them to find out what's up. I'll find a way to ride through the area and check them out in person before the Eastern Solstice Meet-up. (Funny, but I was going to stop for lunch in that town after last year's meet-up but decided to press on and try to get past some rain. Didn't work out.)

That Hico, WV place might merit a check-out on the way to the meet-up, too -- it's about a 3 hour ride to Fisherville. I'm plotting out some ride routes centered around Beckley, WV for the days before and one of the goes right through Hico. I might anchor myself nearby for a couple of days. (Cabins are too expensive just for me.)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Switzerland Inn is in a great area, pass through there often on my way to Spruce Pine. Did the long way around (226A) once in my truck :shock: , won't do that again. It is also 30 min. from my mom's place, and around the corner from Grandfather mountain and Linville gorge.
I can help scout the area as soon as the cast comes off. :roll:

Phil

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Phil,

I think you need to expand on that last sentence.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Paulie said:
Phil,

I think you need to expand on that last sentence.
Partial tear of the TFCC (wrist joint).
Did it about 6 weeks ago, went from a hard splint to a soft brace but was not healing right. Sooo.. he put me in a cast to immobilize the joint. :evil:
Should have been more careful and took it easy on the joint, but I can be a little hyperactive at times.
The cast is on the right arm, ending my riding season. :x
Will get it off Nov. 5 if I don't cut it off myself before that!

Phil

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Yeeouch, that's gotta hurt. If you bundle up you should still get a little riding in. Be patient.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
since rick took ya'll off road,,i know some awesome camp sites,, but you have to bring in everything ,, a-z

not quite doable on the bike with that much gear needed,,maybe too many gravel roads for some also.

mark

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I am newly back on a bike after the typical "gotta get rid of the toys while the kids are young" thing and I have already done one long trip.
I am in Chesapeake VA and all we have is flat boaring roads, so a trip to the twistie stuff is always good.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I just got back from a weekend at James River State Park, and it is awesome. My family has stayed there every October for the last 5 or so years. They have real nature camping, but they also have 16 wonderful cabins. 2 of them are 16 person lodges. The remaining cabins are anywhere from 1 to 3 bedrooms. I would say that it is certainly worth checking out.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/jam.shtml

1 - 20 of 50 Posts