21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
prarhart said:
rickbb said:
Just remembered something about the Spruce Pine area, it's a DRY county. FYI.
BYOB! :D

There are ABC stores in both Marion and Spruce pine, Just checked the ABC website.

Phil
Less of an issue than that. From the Switzerland Inn website:
Beer, wine and mixed beverages are served in the Chalet Restaurant and in the 2 adjoining ****tail bars.
I believe the 2 adjoining ****tail bars on on patios.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hard to believe that my wife is so fired up for next year's rally considering how she handled riding pillion on VA16 but she has responded to my thought that Switzerland Inn might be too far for some (Paulie is about 600 miles away, Pete and JoAnn about 550) so she is searching for other spots.

Her latest find -- all cabins. About as rustic as she likes it -- and that's a LOT less so than me. This place has a good location in the heart of outstanding WV riding country -- but it would take us to a state without any east coast.

As she comes up with sites, I'll post the links. I know we're a long way off but I might not have so much free time starting on Monday and Helen's enthusiasm will definitely wane as everyday life takes hold again.

On edit: Here are the first six scenic routes (in purple) from the booklet I picked up (from the Southern West Virginia Convention & Visitors Bureau) mapped. About 20% of the way down from the top, just about the L-R center, there's an image of a cabin showing where Country Road Cabins (latest find) is located:

Those six rides total 800 miles.
I love those roads Art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
The cast comes off tomorrow, and my vacation starts on Saturday (10 days).
We will go up to my moms, and if the weather is good, head up to Spruce Pine next weekend.:D

Phillip

·
Registered
429 Posts
Cast is off, and therapy is going great.
Still planning on going up to Spruce pine on Saturday.
Anything you want me to look for?
I will ask about open fires (i like).

Phillip

·
Registered
206 Posts
NO GRAVELS PLEASE! i will have to put knobbys on the HOG if we do that again!

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Official site: Switzerland Inn

We want to "own" the Diamondback Lodge for the weekend.

First ride scheduled for 9 AM Friday, October 7, 2011. Route TBD.

We'll do what we can to stay on pavement; rickbb should have an easier time doing that for this rally since it is closer to his home. (At least if he doesn't spend 6 months traveling around Asia next spring and summer.)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Just made a rez in the lodge, waiting on a confim.

Hopefully the Aisa travel is done for now. The China deal fell through when we kept pushing them for protection on our patents and copyrights. (Yah!)

BUT, the other 3 guys are going to open Turkey in the next cpl of months and rumor has it that Brazil is next spring. sigh, guess having a job and no time is better than no job and no money for the time.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Its a chance for people who are on this forum to ride together. I have been to the last four and I can promise you, if you come, you will have a ball riding and meet some of the nicest people you have ever met. There are riders from as far away as Florida and Michagin, and everything in between, that have been to previous rallys. In the past we have ridden in on Thursday, there is an organized ride on Friday, another on Saturday, and some people go to lunch together before heading home on Sunday. Of course there is also a bit of eating and drinking.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am alittle confused. I live in Maryland and was considering riding down for the event. Are people staying in the Diamondback lodge ? I see there are 8 rooms. Do we make our own indivigual reservation or is the lodge rented out as a group? Are some people staying in other rooms at the Switzerland Inn? How many people have commited so far?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I am alittle confused. I live in Maryland and was considering riding down for the event. Are people staying in the Diamondback lodge ? I see there are 8 rooms. Do we make our own indivigual reservation or is the lodge rented out as a group? Are some people staying in other rooms at the Switzerland Inn? How many people have commited so far?
Yes, you make your own reservations. If your a single you should shoot for a Diamondback lodge room (perfect for singles). Yes, some people will be staying in other rooms. There have been a few room reservations but; the regulars are pretty firm about going. I think that is about a dozen bikes. The crowd is usually from about 15 to 30 bikes depending on who can get away at the time. First timers are always welcome.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Cer1,

Don't overlook the Eastern Solstice MeetUp as an opportunity to figure out if you'd be willing to spend time with some of us going to the ECR.

The Rally is better in that it (generally) includes more people from greater distances along with planned (completely optional) rides.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Just got my room booked at the Diamondback lodge at Little Switzerland. There are only 3 rooms left in the lodge so if you are a single and want a cheap room you better hurry. Don't forget this is leaf peeper season in the mountains and the rooms fill up fast.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts