Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So new Shadow owner here. New rider in general. This being my second bike. (IE: I know even less then i think i do, and am reaching out to yall talented boys and girls to help ed-ji-mi-cate me)

Like the title says:
-2012 Honda Shadow 750 RS (EFI)
-full Cobra Exhaust Pipes
-No Fuel Controller because of friggin course California doesnt allow them

If you are wondering about why the bike is this way, I just bought it in this config second hand. And after some post purchase googling, im starting to wonder if ive jumped into a pool with no water.

So im hoping some lovely peoples here can:
-inform me of the importance (in laymans terms) of a fuel controlller.
-what options/alternatives might be available to me.
-Answer if i might be able to mcgyver a solution by abusing the map/maf sensor to compensate for the non-stock exhaust.

Sub Question: Im 260Lbs and the bike is topping out in the high 80's. Seems notably slower then the claimed 99MPH max speed the marketing advertised. I know im kinda fat, but it shouldnt be THAT slow should it?

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,749 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How do you get by with Cobra pipes in California? I think the bike should run faster than 90 mph but there's no telling, wait for the experts to chime in. My guess is you probably need to have the bikes computer flashed to run correctly with the new pipes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. How do you get by with Cobra pipes in California? I think the bike should run faster than 90 mph but there's no telling, wait for the experts to chime in. My guess is you probably need to have the bikes computer flashed to run correctly with the new pipes.
thank you for the welcome. Im sorry, i guess i dont understand your question? I think so as well on the mph. as for computer flashing. i think that is again not allowed in CA

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,749 Posts
thank you for the welcome. Im sorry, i guess i dont understand your question? I think so as well on the mph. as for computer flashing. i think that is again not allowed in CA
I think the Cobra pipes are illegal in CA as well. If they do the decibel test you will most likely fail. Unless you have quiet Cobras which I haven't heard of. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,133 Posts
Well I suggest finding the stock exhaust or maybe find a out of state dealership that will reset your on board computer but again you live in CA.

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
363 Posts
First guess is that the fuel injection is stock and set to stock settings and somebody put a less restrictive exhaust on the bike which then throws off the 'tuning' of the bike resulting in reduced speed and power.
Either exhaust or fuel injection 'mapping' will most likely need to be changed to run efficiently.
Are there even baffles in the cobra exhaust system?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First guess is that the fuel injection is stock and set to stock settings and somebody put a less restrictive exhaust on the bike which then throws off the 'tuning' of the bike resulting in reduced speed and power.
Either exhaust or fuel injection 'mapping' will most likely need to be changed to run efficiently.
Are there even baffles in the cobra exhaust system?
thats the conclusion i came to. and to be honest i dont know. It sounds like really throaty and mean, but apparently not very loud. so....maybe?

Newb question. how can i tell?

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
324 Posts
Baffles are generally available for Cobra pipes. I have some 9 inch ones (no fiberglas packing) in my Cobra drags. Now I'm carbureted, so it might not work exactly the same, but I think if all that's changed is the pipes then it doesn't really change the fueling that much. I'm running them with stock airbox and filter, and stock jetting and it runs great.

Which Cobra pipes do you have?

Cobra removeable baffles

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
270 Posts
I think the Cobra pipes are illegal in CA as well. If they do the decibel test you will most likely fail. Unless you have quiet Cobras which I haven't heard of. Enjoy your new ride.
Everything in CA is illegal... with all their C.A.R.B garbage.... in fact I think they've passed a bill that if you live in CA it's illegal to even look at aftermarket pipes online. LOL

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
363 Posts
My 1100 has vance and hines longshots that the prev owner ran straight piped (ive since double baffled them and readjusted the carbs), Carbs were rejetted by the dealer even tho the air box/filter is stock (got the reciept with the bike).
So i can only imagine that with being fuel injected, flashing the ignition with an approp 'tune' would be pretty important.
Think the owner said hes a big boy. That and the low hp numbers of the 750, every little bit is going to help.
Get the exhaust where you and Cali decide its best (lol) and then have the ignition tuned to that.

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
363 Posts
I just dont know how much return you will get on your time and investment.
Does it pull pretty good up to say 80? Might just wanna leave it as is if spark plug color looks good

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
363 Posts
or if the baffles mount in the same location in the pipes as my V&H do (which I would think most would)... should be easy enough to take a flashlight and look in the end of the pipes and see them if they are installed.
Yup, most baffles are 5-8" from tailpipe tip (placement helps tune the powerband).
Wasnt sure if he knew what to look for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a 2012 RS, of which I’m the original owner. I have a good bit of experience with the bike in it’s stock configuration, as well as what it was like when adding parts such as cobra exhaust, fuel tuner, and air intake slowly over time as I could afford them.

To me it sounds like your bike is running just fine, I weigh just a tad over 150lbs, and I can barely get mine up to 98 mph, but it takes forever after 84-85 to get there. It’s not a super powerful bike, though it is fun to ride aggressively. I probably put 4-5 thousand miles on it with just the pipes, it ran fine. I was actually a little disappointed after adding the fuel tuner because it didn’t really seem to do anything. I would suggest pulling the plugs, if they have a nice color I’d bet it’s fine.
Now if you add the cobra air intake, if you could even still find one for the RS (doubtful), then I’d think the fuel tuner may be more necessary, but at that point you’re adding to the air flow through the engine more.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
Shadows aren't exactly sport-bikes :0) ..not even the RS version :0) ...I think my Aero, with Cobra pipes, fuel controller, increased air, and a dyno-tune topped out at about 93? ..not,...that ...I ever went that fast In My LIFE! ;0) ;0) ;0) .. So. Yes. Pipes are just part of the equation when it comes to power and throttle response. You need higher airflow and tuned fueling too, as otherwise, you will likely start to feel "elasticity" (lack of response), in throttle response at certain RPMs.

All firing right, throttle response will feel very linear and immediate. Air, Fuel, and Exhaust will definitely improve that aspect of a stock Shadows tuning. Getting all those things and tuning the fuel controller by-way of a good dyno-tuner WILL put a smile on your face. ...But it won't increase top speed to any real degree. Not so much that you could really brag about it or feel it in the seat of your pants.

The throttle response - that, almost electric bike acceleration as you roll-on the power, is what that tuning does for you. And it is NICE! ...Expensive, and like you say illegal in California, but NICE!

...not gonna make your bike go too much faster though. :0/

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
Adjusting timing - if you can find somebody who can do that, you might increase power. I have heard that people who have done that on Shadows have seen decent results. I have a 4 Degree timing mod on my Vic and yes, it really tightened things up and added a few extra ponies to that bike - not as much as a cam swap did, but, you might have better results with a timing adjustment.

Usually, there are a few really-good guys out there in most necks-of-woods, who work on bikes, all of them guys seem to like to talk about performance mods without charging you a penny. I would suggest talking to a few reputable performance mechanics in your area. See what they can do for you. It won't be much, and it'll likely be expensive, (and possibly illegal in California) and that money might be better spent on a faster from the factory bike - if faster is what you are looking for.

Best of luck with it.

Reactions: CSRoad
1 - 20 of 36 Posts