2012 HSN East Coast Rally

September 20-23, 2012 - Franklin, West Virginia

Lodging:

Thompson's Motel
US 220 & US 33
Franklin, WV

Phone: (304) 358-2331

38.654642,-79.332426 - Google Maps

Thompson's Motel is three things... very reasonable ($52.64 total/per night), clean, and in the middle of some of the best riding in the US! This is a old-fashioned motor inn type set-up that does not have pools/jacuzzi/fitness center/conference room/etc. It is right out of the 50's right down to the neon sign out front. It is nice, quiet, and has a patio area in front of the rooms for everyone to get together after a day of riding and fun.

They are ready to take reservations. Call the number above. This is a "Mom & Pop" operation. They only answer the phone during the daytime so call then; even then, sometimes they aren't in the office, so try again. You don't even need a credit card to book the room, just your name! Their cancellation policy is 24 hours, but please don't take advantage of their good will by holding a room that you don't plan on actually using.

Right now they have blocked ten rooms (out of about 40) for use by the HSN East Coast Rally. Eight Non-smoking and Two Smoking. We booked one of the Non, so nine rooms left in the block. When you call to make reservations tell them you are with the "EAST COAST RALLY". Check in here once you make reservations. I asked, she said they do get reasonably busy that time of year for the leaf peepers, so book soon. This area does not have chain hotels, so if they get booked-up your options get few.

There is a restaurant right in front of the hotel and a gas station 100 yards down the road.

For ones who have never attended a rally before. Here is the usual schedule:

Thursday: Arrival throughout the day for Rally participants. Get together that evening for food and friendship.

Friday: Breakfast and then usually the long ride day. About a 200+ mile ride throughout the area. In this area of West Virginia, no matter which direction you go, there is unbelievable roads. We will have a nice ride already planned out. Night time is dinner and kicking tires.

Saturday: A shorter ride planned for the day. Sometimes some go off on their own exploring different places they want to see. Night time is dinner and telling lies.

Sunday: Head for home.

Please reply here once you are booked. Any questions, plans, ideas, concerns, etc. Post them here. One of the East Coast Rally veterans should be able to tell you anything you want to know.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
{crickets}

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Art did you book Wed night in Franklin?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dont know what I am doing come September time frame, might be stationed back on a ship and out to sea or might still be sittin on shore duty, If it is the latter I would love to attend. Never ridden in that part of the state other than in a cage. I think this would be a helluva good time and hope I can make it, will let you know more as we get closer to Sept.

Ken

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Art did you book Wed night in Franklin?
No. I figure it won't be too hard to snag something mid-week and don't know if I'll need more than just the one night yet. I'm also thinking about Davis & Elkins college -- staying in the old building this time. Or maybe somewhere in PA then dropping down through Davis.

So many options!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a reservation, but am also looking at possible nearby campgrounds as hubs and I are dirt a$$ poor. He is supposed to get promoted this summer, so I may make him stay at the hotel as a "Good Job Babe!" Wives in his unit get jewelry when their husband promotes, I would rather go on a trip. Now to find a babysitter...

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Paulie and I are planning to meet around York, PA (maybe the Red Roof Inn?) on Wednesday evening to ride down US15 & US340 to Elkton, WV then take US33 into Franklin.

Anyone interested in riding along is welcome -- as long as you're not too gung-ho on getting there and more interested in enjoying the ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts