Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Brand new bike is starting to act funny after the cobra part installs. I have just hit 900 miles and every time I get to a stop light and idle in 1st or Neutral it just dies. I have added the cobra pipes/intake/tuner and right after that it started dieing. I have to keep it revved up slightly so it won't die.

Not sure what could be causing this cuz the bike is brand new besides the cobra upgrades. But I know a lot of you are running the same thing. Any ideas? :sad:

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Hi Guys,

Brand new bike is starting to act funny after the cobra part installs. I have just hit 900 miles and every time I get to a stop light and idle in 1st or Neutral it just dies. I have added the cobra pipes/intake/tuner and right after that it started dieing. I have to keep it revved up slightly so it won't die.

Not sure what could be causing this cuz the bike is brand new besides the cobra upgrades. But I know a lot of you are running the same thing. Any ideas? :sad:

Thanks in advance!
I have a couple, but it's too late for the first. Have you contacted cobra's tech dep't for advice?

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
No carbs, so it almost has to be the tuner or a problem with the install. Just a WAG on that one as I'm not up on the newer injected bikes. I'm sure someone will be along and get you headed in the right direction. Nonetheless, I'd still be calling cobra. The money you paid should include customer service. Double check your work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cobra Fi2000R CARB Digital Fuel Processor 92-1619-50

I double checked all of the work, and the lights as well. I'm going to give Cobra a call now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I called Cobra, they weren't much help. Basically told me that I shouldn't run any of their products on my bike because I'm in California. Guess I'll take off the tuner and intake and send them back and just keep the pipes.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thats the 3 pot version right? Where did you ground it? If its not grounded right it could cause issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I grounded it to the negative battery terminal per the instructions. Everything runs great when I'm moving. But as soon as I come to a complete stop or just before a stop it just shuts off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talked to my shop and they are going to do a power commander and tune for $75. This POS tuner was like $200, so I'm just sending it back. Going to keep the intake and exhaust though.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,368 Posts
I am not sure about F/I bikes but did a lot of work on cars.
With fuel injection when you decelerate the throttle switch tells the ECU and it shuts off the fuel til about 1200 RPM or so and then restarts injection. Mainly for emissions and economy.
So is there a throttle sensor that can be adjusted or idle speed setting , anything that my need fine tuned?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure, I'm still new to this. The bike is brand new though, only 900 miles and I hope I don't have to adjust anything at this point lol.

Sounds like the power commander should fix the issue for me. This only started when I bought the more expensive/****tier cobra one. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turned out to be the ground wire broke off from the tuner to the battery. Surprised it still ran as long as I was on the throttle.

Sent the cobra tuner back and getting the power commander installed now. It's almost the same price for the better unit.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
^^^I know, i have NO clue why anyone would get a Cobra unit that only guesses at stuff instead of a fully programmable one.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Sadly, you learned the lesson the hard way. I'm sure you'll love the PCV. Are they doing a dyno tune?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.