June 16, 2020
[IMG]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 16, 2020

CONTACTS: Christina Steele

605-347-4422 ext. 209

[email protected]

2020 City of Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Update

The Sturgis City Council has announced that a modified 80th Annual City of Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is being prepared. The event will have significant changes to city-sponsored events with the intention of safeguarding the community and residents.

Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Sturgis has taken a proactive approach in completing an in-depth process to determine the best path moving forward in an effort to protect the residents, while considering if or how to host the annual event. This process has included monitoring COVID-19 infection rates, and extensive communication with local health care providers. City staff and Council members have participated in more than 100 calls with various federal, state and local agencies, communities, chambers of commerce, businesses, governmental officials, and Meade 46-1 School District. A special town hall meeting was hosted on June 8 to hear comments and concerns from residents, businesses, and Rally enthusiasts.

After considering many options, the City Council voted in favor of moving forward with preparations for the large influx of tourists and participants coming to enjoy the Black Hills, with a focus on preserving the safety of our residents. Attendees will be asked to be respectful of the community concerns by practicing social distancing and taking personal responsibility for their health by following CDC guidelines. Enhanced safety and sanitization protocols will be carried out for rally goers, including public hand sanitizing stations throughout the downtown area. In additional to the normal cleaning efforts, nightly sanitization of sidewalk areas will take place in the downtown area. Temporary vendors will be asked to abide by state and federal protocols and guidelines related to COVID-19. PPE will be available for all city staff, and any businesses that have issues with finding available personal protective equipment for their employees.

The City of Sturgis will continue to encourage any and all residents to utilize the Sturgis Good Deeds program for any of their local shopping needs. This program began in March to aid residents with pre-existing conditions, those in the high-risk category, or those with general health concerns with grocery or other essential needs by contactless deliveries free of charge. This service is conducted by City staff and a host of wonderful volunteers.

The City sponsored celebratory events including opening ceremonies, parades, B1 Flyover, and entertainment and live music at Harley-Davidson Rally Point have been canceled. Photo towers will not be installed. These changes are designed to reduce the large crowd gatherings in the downtown core. We look forward to offering events again in 2021.

To assist with traffic flow, the City will have temporary traffic controls in place and transportation services will be available. Motorcycle parking in the downtown areas will continue as in past years, with the ability to reduce the footprint if needed. Additional staff will be available to provide fire, ambulance, and law enforcement services for the City of Sturgis and the surrounding area.

In the event of a health emergency, the Sturgis Mayor has the authority to modify these plans as necessary upon notification from the local health officials, the State Department of Health, the Governor’s Office, or the CDC.

The City of Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is an icon of American Freedom and Independence. The City of Sturgis has been the pre-eminent host of this event for decades and welcomes each visitor to the event. We ask that attendees help maintain the safety of our community and guests alike by respecting protocols and guidelines. We look forward to celebrating the City of Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in grand style in 2021.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to the rally this year.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,813 Posts
So many words; so little information. They could have at least included the date.

·
Registered
17,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I still have my camping reservation. I was surprised at how many people jumped ship the very moment it was announced, several months ago, that the even might not happen.
I was reading comments like "I'm cancelling right away and those &$%#@'s better give me back every damn penny or...." :rolleyes:

I elected to be a bit more patient and I'm glad I did.

The funny thing is...It's all up in the air for me since our first grandchild is due any time now. I may end up missing the event, but if I do, I still plan on going later on anyway...there's still a lot to see out there.

·
Registered
17,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have my camping reservation. I was surprised at how many people jumped ship the very moment it was announced, several months ago, that the even might not happen.
I was reading comments like "I'm cancelling right away and those &$%#@'s better give me back every damn penny or...." :rolleyes:

I elected to be a bit more patient and I'm glad I did.

The funny thing is...It's all up in the air for me since our first grandchild is due any time now. I may end up missing the event, but if I do, I still plan on going later on anyway...there's still a lot to see out there.
Congratulations on grand baby first off...
Then > OH YEAH! There`s a LOT of GREAT RIDING in the Black Hills and surrounding area...
We put on 400 miles many days we were there in 2011 >
Just RIDING is a reason to go,
Dennis

The granchild will be there when you get back too IF it`s already here ;)

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Like D said....and that grandbaby wont know you weren’t there, but will enjoy your rally stories in a few years

Reactions: squidchief

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Still waiting on the grandbaby. Any day now, I guess.

Well, it was a good idea to review my travel plans today. I usually double-check my route with Google Maps to see if there are any road closures, etc.
Last year I found that one of my campgrounds had closed permanently. Luckily, I found out in time to find another campground not too far away and along my intended route.
This year it happened again. Luckily again, the campground was still there . It was just under new ownership and a new name. I was able to talk to them today.
My previous regular campgrounds didn't require a reservation. "Find a spot, set up camp, and if it's too late to check in we'll settle up the next morning."
Both the new locations ask for reservations.

Some of my riding days are so long that I'm arriving near sunset with little time to find an alternative campground if my intended stay is closed.

So, lucky. :cool:

·
Registered
17,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I seen y`all on the world news this morning, I WISH I were there too...

Media has already blamed the 250,000 (claimed) in attendance as prospected cause for the Virus to spread because of this rally...
I`m vulnerable I wear a mask in public, as I`m sure many were worn...
But none were shown, with "Freedom" as the theme for this broadcast article

AND of Course the News HAD to show a Wheelie to promote their DISTASTE for US "Bikers"...
Yes the Wheelie was on a vacant street under strict supervision of the promoters for one of many organized shows/events which draw spectators and enthusiasts.....

A Very Biased article!!!.

BUT that`s what I`m bringing up for discussion >
Discrimination Is very Real in our world of Motorcycling...

Have at it,
Dennis

·
Registered
17,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sure am looking forward to y`alls report on how the Sturgis Rally is going,
Dennis

Nevermind the news bias I want some Biker bias :D

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
All I will say is there were no masks, no social distancing and 99% of the people there acted like nothing else was going on. It was a much smaller crowd, the 250k sounds about right.

My wife has to be quarantined because of this vacation, per her job, until her new test results come in (getting tested tomorrow). Should only take a day or two. Her test before we left was negative.

Neither of us have any symptoms...so we’ll see.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
What??? Nobody else went and willing to give a report...???
Love Pics,
Dennis

Reactions: "Captain D"
1 - 17 of 17 Posts