Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does number of cylinders mean more speed?
Do less number of cylinders mean more torque?
If i am comparing 2 1800cc bikes one is 2cylinders and the other is 6 which one would be better and why?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
No, speed would be close.
No, it's not the numbers, it's the bore of the cylinder.
No, torque is how low a spin of the engine shows torque. It's using a single big bore, rather then spread it out with more cylinders, needing more engine spin to match. So that says who torques up faster? The less cylinders does.

The matching 1800cc engines.
1. The more cylinders the smoother the engine.
2. Twin engine has less parts.
3. The 6 would carry more weight robbing HP or torque getting there.
4. Both engines would last equally if in ideal conditions.
5. Twin would win the torque contest.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
So a boulevard m109r should be faster than a gl?
No, Pretty sure the GL will kick the m109's ass. Check specs for each on Bikez.com

Edit: hmmm, both about the same rated hp, GL has more torque, and a bit more weight, might be close.

Edit: And if I HAD to ride one of them every day, it would be the GL1800

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,573 Posts
They both should be capable of running at the speed limit much longer than you can ride them. They are not race bikes,,,I guess I don’t understand the questions.

I would be more concerned with comfort, luggage capacity, manufactured quality, and dealer network.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,020 Posts
Lower rpm engines usually have a higher torque, higher revving engines usually have higher horsepower and will hit higher speeds. The biggest thing to check is the specs as already mentioned. Just match the specs to the type of ride you want. Vibration and frequencies vary on the different number of cylinders and rpm also. That slow hammering on my spirit 1100 killed my wrists and hands at first. I run it up to higher rpm and I'm ok. All bikes are fun, no matter how many cylinders or power. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
That ST series is Honda's little brother to the GL line. ST handling is probable matched with the GL is a guess. Can't say it's neutral steering, it's just different. More have to push the bar ever so lightly and it carves a straight line. Bottoms out bad on both sides, I don't wanna look.

Once it becomes heavy and sits low, sport maneuvering takes a back seat. Oh geez, someone on the back and take those turns? They'll never ride with me again.

·
Registered
850 Posts
1) So a boulevard m109r should be faster than a gl?

2) Does number of cylinders mean more speed?

3) Do less number of cylinders mean more torque?

4) If i am comparing 2 1800cc bikes one is 2cylinders and the other is 6 which one would be better and why?
1) Having ridden both, several times, YES, a M109R 1783cc will spank the buttocks of a GL1832cc in a straight line. But, NO, A GL1832cc will inhale and exhale a M109R 1783cc, when the road turns curvy, nuff said, been there-done that.

2) NO

3) NO

4) I have no info to offer up about the 6 cylinder BMW bike. You will have to do your own research. No matter whether it is the 1st gen Honda Valkyrie, the 2nd gen Honda Valkyrie, or the any gen Honda Goldwing, there is really no comparison to be made about the flat 6 cyl. Honda engines and any other V-Twin or Parallel twin engine.

A person would out-want a 6 cylinder Honda engine'd motorcycle long before the engine gave them an actual reason to.

You ask questions, could you be more specific about what kind of riding you do and the area where you do it?.

Specifically you have asked about the Suzuki M109R. Most people when they hear/read 6 cylinder...they think of the Honda Goldwing (or an iteration).

Anyway,
John

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,324 Posts
06' Suzuki M109R, 97' Honda GL1500C Valkyrie, and the 01' Honda VTX1800C share near identical 1:7 PTWR and all three are shaft drive. The new 1800 Valkyrie is quite superior power wise to its older sister and weighs the same.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

When Fueling was alive, he brought his 3 cylinder out at some bike event I was at. He would let people throttle the bike. It's sitting there, no way to cool it off mind you. When I opened the throttle, it was unbelievably smooth. The more I revved it up, it never buzzed out of smooth running.

I'd match the smoothness to any 4-6-10-12 banger, it was that smooth if I recall.

·
Registered
69 Posts
These days some manufacturers are managing to get high HP out of two cylinder bikes. When I was young more cylinders meant more performance. The Harley's and the two cylinder Yamaha's could not keep up with those of us who drove 4 cylinder bikes. The first 6 cyl. I remember was when Kawasaki came out with the KZ 1300. It ran pretty good for a heavy bike. But times have changed. Personally I prefer smaller bikes that have some get up and go like the Indian Scouts. When I am driving something over a 1000cc I feel more like I'm driving a truck than a bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1) Having ridden both, several times, YES, a M109R 1783cc will spank the buttocks of a GL1832cc in a straight line. But, NO, A GL1832cc will inhale and exhale a M109R 1783cc, when the road turns curvy, nuff said, been there-done that.

2) NO

3) NO

4) I have no info to offer up about the 6 cylinder BMW bike. You will have to do your own research. No matter whether it is the 1st gen Honda Valkyrie, the 2nd gen Honda Valkyrie, or the any gen Honda Goldwing, there is really no comparison to be made about the flat 6 cyl. Honda engines and any other V-Twin or Parallel twin engine.

A person would out-want a 6 cylinder Honda engine'd motorcycle long before the engine gave them an actual reason to.

You ask questions, could you be more specific about what kind of riding you do and the area where you do it?.

Specifically you have asked about the Suzuki M109R. Most people when they hear/read 6 cylinder...they think of the Honda Goldwing (or an iteration).

Anyway,
John
my friend and i were debating on which bike was faster and i thought the GL would be much faster because it has more cylinders. So i asked wether the no of cylinders affects speed or not.

thanks for replying everybody.

·
Registered
850 Posts
my friend and i were debating on which bike was faster and i thought the GL would be much faster because it has more cylinders.
Hey Ali-red,

It's all good my brother. I enjoy going back and forth with my friends too. If I had never ridden a Suzuki M109 and a GL both I might have assumed the GL to be faster.

The M109 is a freaking beast in a straight line (that's from my experiences riding one, I do not know what other's experiences are with those 2 bikes).

When it comes to over-all or curve riding though, I would much prefer that my buttocks be sitting on the seat of a whole bunch of other cruisers.

In 2020 I was the ride leader on 2 separate small group rides (4 people the first time and 2 people the second time). On both of those rides, a M109 kissed the asphalt and turned what was going to be a great day into a bad day. The roads that I ride on are curvy (that is putting it mildly), and even though I felt I had slowed to a snail's pace so everyone had a safe enjoyable ride, the M109s didn't have the ground clearance necessary. I was leading both of those rides on my 45-50hp Honda Shadow and had ground clearance to spare because of the slow pace.

Anyway,

John

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
my friend and i were debating on which bike was faster and i thought the GL would be much faster because it has more cylinders. So i asked wether the no of cylinders affects speed or not.

thanks for replying everybody.
I would like to start with apologizing for my comments, they were a bit smarta$$ in nature. The forum gets its share of questions concerning the speed/performance of the Shadows and a lot want sport bike performance with cruiser look,,,and on the cheap too.

To answer your question would take up a lot of space and time because of all the variables involved. But I believe that @cyclejohn hit the nail on the head.

Something else to consider is the distance that is measuring the speed. Let’s say it is a cross country trip, it is very possible that the GL would win simply because of the comfort level that it affords the rider. The longer you can stay in the saddle each day means less days to the finish line. Of course this depends on the riders like most things do.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Duplicate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts