Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unable to post in the tech or general so I'll give it a shot here. Does any of your guys water pumps knock during the first few mins of warming up? Mines been replaced with new OEM last year since the one before was making a knock also. Even when i took out the old one there was no play in the bearing. There's no air in the system either, but when you put your hand on the bottom of the pump you can feel the knock coming from it.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
It may be the drive shaft that turns the water pump. It appears to be the back end of the oil pump, and may have slack in the chain or drive lugs are worn, - ?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. Man I hope it's not that. Was a pain in the butt just to get water pump out. That looks like a pull the engine job. Wonder how something like that would wear out with 33,000 on the engine.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
The right side cover should come off easily to inspect the clutch and gears and oil pump and see if any thing is loosened. It may be a sound transfer from the oil pump and chain, etc.
Was the right cover off before?

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
This one has me guessing. Might suggest you use a piece of 5/8" heater hose as a "stethoscope" and see if you can accurately pin down the location of your Knock. Don't think there is anything heavy enough in the water pump guts to produce a knock; more likely something in the various drive gears as @swifty2014 suggests. Check both sides with your "stethoscope".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
ShadowGeezer
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing