1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I wouldnt. A car tire is designed and made to handle the forces and carry the weight of a 4 wheeled car. Not the leaning and braking forces of a two wheeled motorcycle. A quality motorcycle tire is made to handle anything your bike can throw at it and does a darn good job of it. They're cheap enough, and a good one lasts long enough.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
I wouldnt. A car tire is designed and made to handle the forces and carry the weight of a 4 wheeled car. Not the leaning and braking forces of a two wheeled motorcycle. A quality motorcycle tire is made to handle anything your bike can throw at it and does a darn good job of it. They're cheap enough, and a good one lasts long enough.
Yes... BUT... No stories of car tires ever popping off rims, is there?

A picture is worth a thousand words they say.. A movie then is worth a couple of million.. So I'll let Yellow Wolf below explain the physics of how well they seem to work...

Here endeth my rant ;)

What's up next new guy? Riding Gear? Oil? Dear God not "The Fastest Color" ... :lol: ..Welcome to the Forum! ;)

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Electric bike...

I was following an electric bike (no name on it that I could see) that may have been home made. It had what looked like a 13" car tire on the rear. As I watched him lean around a corner I saw the bike ride on the apex (tip) of the tire edge. Very little rubber contact to the road which caused me to wonder about how wise it is to run a car tire on a bike.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
What's up next new guy? Riding Gear? Oil? Dear God not "The Fastest Color" ... :lol: ..Welcome to the Forum! ;)
"The Fastest Color"... I think that's red isn't it Mark? I figure it has to be red since it seems to me that I read somewhere once that red vehicles get more speeding tickets. :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I'm not good in explaining, won't argue with the naysayers(that have no real life/hands on experience) but I have over 30,000 miles running a car tire on my vlx. We use car tires that have the more rounded edges. I've never had an issue from the car tire. I ride semi aggressively.
My independent bike shop that mounted my tires is now closed, so without another I may return to using the mc tire on the rear.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yes... BUT... No stories of car tires ever popping off rims, is there?

A picture is worth a thousand words they say.. A movie then is worth a couple of million.. So I'll let Yellow Wolf below explain the physics of how well they seem to work...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHNnOHuikI

Here endeth my rant ;)

o.k. I'll start.................

What kind of oil do you folks recommend?:mrgreen:

·
Registered
91 Posts
What's the best riding gear, oil, tires, color, and...

Are there any easy mods to make my bike go faster?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts