Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
Keep em coming we love your bike pictures.
Don't let those Florida gators bite your tires. :oops:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep em coming we love your bike pictures.
Don't let those Florida gators bite your tires. :oops:
Thanks Swifty! Here's what's happening as of right now. Rear timing chain seems to have skipped a tooth or two on the VFR after the "manual" cam chain adjuster backed out somehow. We'll see how this goes. Bummer for now.
20191015_173646.jpg

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Kinda left this hangin' didn't I?

The Honda OEM self-adjusting cam timing chain tensioners on these bikes are crap after a while. So the previous owner installed an aftermarket manual adjuster that is highly recommended. There are two - I came to find that he only did the rear cylinder. Apparently, whether he installed it or a shop, the locking nut was not tightened down. That led to the bolt backing out and it got to that magical point where the chain guide set the chain free from the gear. Good news is there was no damage - no bent valves, broken teeth, etc. Believe me, I checked it all (you know me). During this I had ordered new timing chains for both front and rear, and an oil pump chain too. All were a bit stretched so it was a good time while everything was open. I assume the PO chose not to install the front manual adjuster because it's a bit unnerving to get to; maybe I just have better tools! :LOL: So yes, I replaced the front adjuster with a manual one too.

The front brake fluid was absolutely nasty, so I flushed and replaced it. I already received my caliper rebuild kit, so I'll be doing those maybe this coming weekend. And just for 5hit5, I also treated myself to a new Puig windscreen that is so much better than that cheap no-name dark smoke crap that was on it before. The wind is now appropriately placed over the helmet than in my chest. Figured I'd throw that in with the mix so the wife doesn't see the "unnecessary" purchase(s). :cool:

Thanks for looking; pics ................

OEM self-adjusting cam timing chain tensioner (front):

Aftermarket manual cam timing chain tensioner:

Inside rear jug where you can see the threaded bolt pressing against the chain tensioner:

Timing chain stretch difference hanging side-by-side. There's some mathematical formula you can use if they are unfolded to show more stretch, but I suck at math ... deal with it: :geek:

Process pic #1:

Process pic #2:

Process pic #3 (front jug intake):

Process pic #4 (rear jug exhaust):

Old oil pump drive chain with excessive slack:

New oil pump drive chain; less slack; yes it's supposed to have some slack:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New double-bubble Puig light smoke wind screen laying over the cheapo dark smoke one:

Cap off brake reservoir showing rubber not sealed which obviously led to the discoloring of the fluid (moisture). Check your stuff people! Especially when buying used:

Old brake fluid, discolored and had goo in the bottom of reservoir:

Goo (hard to see):

Old wind screen (previous owner pic):

With new screen:

As she sits today at work. I truly love this bike:

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
Beautiful, glad you got it back together with no major engine damage !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts