Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is going into temp storage for 3 months while I'm away for a school.

I'm thinking that I can disconnect battery and it should be good.
I was worried about the tires and gas tank and fluids but 3 months is not that long.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think the battery might be drained by the time you're back...if you can get a tender and plug it in, I'd do that.
Make sure your gas tank is full and use some fuel stabilizer and bam, you should be set.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
It can be a mess IF you leave ethanol in a tank and in the carberators, when you return in three months...
I do NOT store anything with ethanol gas in it...
Not IF I know it`ll be sitting,
D

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Three months is nothing..If you are storing it under cover you don't need to do anything..Just recharge the battery when you want to ride it again.

John.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can be a mess IF you leave ethanol in a tank and in the carberators, when you return in three months...
D
I have a 2014 Phantom which is fuel injected and does not have a carburetor. If that makes a difference.

·
Registered
11,523 Posts
D
Bogus old wives tale. We've had ethanol in the Chicago area for over 30 years and I've never had any problems with any of my motorcycles which sit up 3-5 months every year.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bogus old wives tale. We've had ethanol in the Chicago area for over 30 years and I've never had any problems with any of my motorcycles which sit up 3-5 months every year.

Last year, I left my bike parked for 2 months with ethanol fuel in it. When I went to ride again, my carbs were completely gummed up! Had to pull them from the bike and thoroughly clean! I hate ethanol in my gas!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I agree. Besides, for the cost of a bottle of Seafoam, I don't think it's worth the risk and all that corn. Perhaps, some areas in the US do have superior formula ethanol. I've heard the claim before.

I have a 2014 Phantom which is fuel injected and does not have a carburetor. If that makes a difference.
I imagine a FI uses some type of jets to spray the fuel into the carbs. Ethanol has also been known to clog up other things in the fuel line

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Bike is going into temp storage for 3 months while I'm away for a school.
I'm thinking that I can disconnect battery and it should be good.
I was worried about the tires and gas tank and fluids but 3 months is not that long.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks.
Personally I would put a battery maintainer/trickle charger on the battery which can be had for $20 for a Shumacher at Walmart. As for fuel while in storage I prefer to fill the tank with non-ethanol gas (e-10) if available and run the bike several miles to get it circulated in the carbs. If not then B-12 added prior to filling the gas tank at the gas station is a good stabilizer and varnish remover (follow the directions on the can). Your tires should be fine as long as the tire pressure is per spec before storage.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
D
Agree.
Our ethanol gas is poor quality.
Your Mileage May Vary, but:
I once asked the busiest most reputable small-engine mechanic around here, how to combat the inevitable varnishGLUE buildup from our engines, from the weedeater & chainsaw to the old gas model John Deere 40.

His answer: "put 2 oz. of regular ol' transmission fluid in every gallon. And don't just fill the tank; run it for at least 10 minutes on that mix, then top off your tank again. If everybody did that, my work would drop by 30%, and I could go riding more. Been telling everybody that'll listen."

So now everything that burns gas but mostly sits during the winter gets this treatment. And even daily drivers get it every fifth tank.

Not saying this is the best answer; it's what works for me.

For 9 years now.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I imagine a FI uses some type of jets to spray the fuel into the carbs. Ethanol has also been known to clog up other things in the fuel line
Not quite..fuel injection uses 'injectors' instead of carbs.. Fuel is pumped into a header tank under pressure..the injectors are like coke bottles full of pressurised gas and they have an electric valve that opens at the right time to squirt gas into the cylinder head through a narrow opening like a needle..Clever stuff and cheaper than a carb..They can still need a clean now and then.

John.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Personally I would put a battery maintainer/trickle charger on the battery which can be had for $20 for a Shumacher at Walmart. As for fuel while in storage I prefer to fill the tank with non-ethanol gas (e-10) if available and run the bike several miles to get it circulated in the carbs. If not then B-12 added prior to filling the gas tank at the gas station is a good stabilizer and varnish remover (follow the directions on the can). Your tires should be fine as long as the tire pressure is per spec before storage.
Uhhh e10 is ethanol gas e=ethanol 10= 10%. So you are filling with ethanol gas and circulating in carbs.
Fill with high test (no ethanol) on your last couple fill ups before storage. Add stabilizer and when you get back run that gas and continue filling with your usual gas.
Dingo.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Uhhh e10 is ethanol gas e=ethanol 10= 10%. So you are filling with ethanol gas and circulating in carbs.
Fill with high test (no ethanol) on your last couple fill ups before storage. Add stabilizer and when you get back run that gas and continue filling with your usual gas.
Dingo.
Oops forgot to put in the "non" e-10. Thanks for correcting me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last year, I left my bike parked for 2 months with ethanol fuel in it. When I went to ride again, my carbs were completely gummed up! Had to pull them from the bike and thoroughly clean! I hate ethanol in my gas!
With a carburetored bike it's always recommended to shut off the gas and run the bike until it runs out of gas (i.e. the carb is dry.) The full tank is also a good idea.

As far as the battery, it should be fine, but I would take it out and store it inside where it doesn't get too cold, or at least put a trickle charger on it. They have some solar chargers that are pretty cheap that you might be able to put in a window to keep the battery up.

Good luck and keep warm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts