Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not stand it any longer, I had to have my fix. Although I really wanted to stay home and take care of the honeydew's, I just could not bear to See my shadow looking so sad.
California has been having a bit of a cold snap, (well for us it is cold) but to you hard core easterners, my hats off to those who ride in temps below freezing.
The wind was relentless, it just kept pounding at me, trying to force me to turn around and go home, but I had a mission. (you know the 58 county thing).

I live in Placer county and I will count it as #1

I was surprised at how close Sutter county was

And Sacramento county, which I thought was really close
(and it is)but I had to go through Sutter to get to Sacramento county.

I had done three so quickly that I decided to get one
more close one, (Yuba), but I got side tracked and
enjoyed my ride instead.
Below are some of the sights along my way.

Just to the left side of the vanishing point
of the road is the Butte Mountain Range,
The smallest mountain range in the world.

On the horizen of this photo are the Sierra Nevada

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Nice pics, thanks. At least you have pour priorities right. I now bargain, one honeydew per ½ hour riding negotiable based on honey do. I.E Rebuild the roof is more hours the plunging the toilet :lol: . hehe

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dragoon said:
Nice pics, thanks. At least you have pour priorities right. I now bargain, one honeydew per ½ hour riding negotiable based on honey do. I.E Rebuild the roof is more hours the plunging the toilet :lol: . hehe
It's funny you should mention the bargaining factor. That's how I got to Ride this day. My DW's mouse quit working all of a sudden. (she has the wireless one) I was expressing all the possibilities that it might be, the worst would be if the wire behind the desk had came loose. (All day job moving stuff out of the way to be able to move desk and get at the back side of her computer.
:arrow: She brought up the fact that if I got it fixed I could ride all day Sunday. Sooooo, I sat in her chair, looked :shock: at the mouse sitting in it's charging cradle. I pulled the charging wire out of the cradle and re-inserted it,PRESTO! All is well and working.
:arrow: She was so happy, it didn't matter how simple the fix was. What mattered was she could use her computer again.
:oops: I did feel guilty enough (actually it was just too windy to ride all day) that after my ride, I raked the leaves. (Remember the wind)? Well all I had do was get the leaves moving and the wind took them away to who knows where.
:cry: However, I also have a roof that needs fixing, and a clogged drain. I will pay dearly in hours for those two. One more big job like those and my trip to San Diego will be cinched up!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cool
Can't do that in Hawaii :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Why can't you do that in Hawaii? Is each island one county, or aren't there counties at all?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Trueseaker said:
Why can't you do that in Hawaii? Is each island one county, or aren't there counties at all?
Each Island is a county
We have interstate highways here that do not even leave the county :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I live in sac too, did you ever take that road that cuts from I-5 through pleasant grove over to roseville?...one of the worse I've seen yet, looks like something the left over from WWII allied bombing...if you like the slolam around pot holes and smell stagnet swamp water, thats the place :)

now you need to go do amador, yolo, sutter, sacramento and el dorado counties...

the run up to sutter creek and ione is rather pleasant, then go do hwy 16/river road to rio vista and have lunch at fosters big horn (I had a buffalo berger there) and take hwy 85/jefferson blvd back to west sacramento.

the levey run is pleasant....but beware! I took a bee to the bicep on why 85 on the return...THAT was not pleasant :cry:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GrymLocke said:
I live in sac too, did you ever take that road that cuts from I-5 through pleasant grove over to roseville?...one of the worse I've seen yet, looks like something the left over from WWII allied bombing...if you like the slolam around pot holes and smell stagnet swamp water, thats the place :)

now you need to go do amador, yolo, sutter, sacramento and el dorado counties...

the run up to sutter creek and ione is rather pleasant, then go do hwy 16/river road to rio vista and have lunch at fosters big horn (I had a buffalo berger there) and take hwy 85/jefferson blvd back to west sacramento.

the levey run is pleasant....but beware! I took a bee to the bicep on why 85 on the return...THAT was not pleasant :cry:
Those are all great rides for sure. I can do them over and over.
I especially love the river road (Garden Hwy) from Nicholas to Antioch, and then another 30 miles to :evil: MT. Diablo! :twisted: From the top, you can see all California. (well, it seems like it anyway).
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b119/Getalong/Mt Diablo/DCAM0004.jpg
Next Sunday I 'am planning on doing, Yuba, Butte, Glenn, Colusa, counties.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
ashadowrider said:
GrymLocke said:

Those are all great rides for sure. I can do them over and over.
I especially love the river road (Garden Hwy) from Nicholas to Antioch, and then another 30 miles to :evil: MT. Diablo! :twisted: From the top, you can see all California. (well, it seems like it anyway).
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b119/Getalong/Mt Diablo/DCAM0004.jpg
Next Sunday I 'am planning on doing, Yuba, Butte, Glenn, Colusa, counties.
I grew up in concord, backpacked in Mt diablo as a kid...since I got the bike, I've been wanting to ride up to top....

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=517
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Diablo

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
That's nice and everything, but isn't it sort of...ummm, how do I say this in a non-perjorative way...flat? As in pancake? :lol:
You were almost to God's country in Placer County if you had continued up the hill. Here in El Dorado County we are on the threshhold of heaven; Alpine County IS heaven.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MikeB said:
That's nice and everything, but isn't it sort of...ummm, how do I say this in a non-perjorative way...flat? As in pancake? :lol:
You were almost to God's country in Placer County if you had continued up the hill. Here in El Dorado County we are on the threshhold of heaven; Alpine County IS heaven.
Yeah it is nice up there, my daughter lives in Pollock Pines and her husband shows me around some of the side roads.
I went up Hwy 4 with a Roadstar MC club on New Years day, they go up to the snowline every year. It was a fantastic ride.

For those of you whom are around horses, yes that is a large pile of road apples that look like the Yama's dumped :oops:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hey you found the SS Minnow.......
Glad you had a chance to venture out and enjoy a ride. Thanks for the Picts.
This is the longest I have gone without riding my bike and you folks with the non snow are having a chance to ride......... yup i need some cheese with my whine.......... ya'll have fun. I will get my chance as well as the rest of the snow bound folks.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I only did 1 county today. (Rem the honey dew thing)? I am falling behind on that honey dew list.
So the closest county was a toss up between El Dorado and Yuba. I figured I would save El Dorado for when I had more time.
When I stopped at the county line to get my picture, a group of about 30 HD riders slowed as much as they dared on a road nick-named, "Blood Alley" I heard the leader of the pack clearly shout out, "you OK"?
I signaled the universal "OK". Everyone of them waved as they resumed speed and drove past.
After I shot my picture I decided to go into town and fill up my tank. Guess who was there? Yup, the HD guys.
I walked over to them and thanked them for their politeness and chatted for a few moments.

I was shooting directly into the sun and kinda in a hurry, I hate it when I am caught photographing. But, below are the Harley guys, more were parked behind that van and around the back of the building and at the gas pumps. Heck, I even got my picture taken, I would love to see what they write.
:oops: Honda breaks down in Wheatland :eek:
[/code]

·
Registered
227 Posts
I know Yuba!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I know wheatland....
...but do know East Nicholus? I had lunch a few times at the little crocery there and once got pulled over by CHiPs for a truck inspection (I was heading to marysville for a dilvery at that time..) :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
If you're ever on the central coast of CA, send me a PM to ride. Here are some rides we have done in our area:

http://www.freemanfamily.info/site/Motorcycle.html

I have a unique wife: 1. it was her idea to get my motorcycle, 2. whenever I want to ride she says, "go, have good time!" Of course when she needs me to watch the kids, I also encourage her and do what I can. Guess that is why the last 14 years have been so good.

Anyway, excuse my slighty acholo enduced ramblings (and check out the spelllling!) Enjoy CA riding, there is never an end to excellent rides in this state!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts