Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info on where I might purchase a new 3 wire connector (like the one that connects the 3 yellow wires from stator to rectifier) for 1999 Honda shadow 1100T? :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just clip if off and solder the three wires together--it's easy. No need to get the same wires hooked in any order--doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
This is a known weak link in the electrical system and classic routine failure.. Buying another connector is just going to set you up for another repair down the road.. Usually.. When you are On the road..

Up-to-you.. But, I would do as the guys above suggest, cut that connector, solder and insulate the wires..

Problems-Problems.. Problems Solved ;)

·
Registered
17,988 Posts
I`m amazed that mine is still in good shape, what, with, from, all the problems I`ve been reading about and I reckon it`s because they used good stuff in 98???
;)

D

·
Super Moderator
6,528 Posts
Is this an issue on all Shadows? Mine's a 1998 750ACE and I have not had that failure. Is it something I should anticipate?

Phil

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Is this an issue on all Shadows? Mine's a 1998 750ACE and I have not had that failure. Is it something I should anticipate?

Phil
No problem here on the 2006 vlx Phil, I never heard of the vlx experiencing this, but have read of folks having to go this route. I wonder if it's an 1100 issue, not an across the board Shadow thing.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,242 Posts
Anticipate? Without a doubt. Next time you're doing some maintenance, check the condition of your connector. When I did (years ago; photos below), I found that mine had been nicely cooking despite showing no signs of failure. Had I not anticipated, I'm sure I would have encountered a failure eventually.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can use wrist or handshake connector they work 90% better than push type wire connector, solder any connector after crimping it. I used handshake connectors and slid 3 sections of heat shrink over the new connectors due to the rectifier going bad, I ordered two so to have a backup.

·
Registered
1996 Honda VT 1100C2 ACE
248 Posts
You can use wrist or handshake connector they work 90% better than push type wire connector, solder any connector after crimping it. I used handshake connectors and slid 3 sections of heat shrink over the new connectors due to the rectifier going bad, I ordered two so to have a backup.
Just curious what is a wrist or handshake connector?

·
Super Moderator
6,528 Posts
Anticipate? Without a doubt. Next time you're doing some maintenance, check the condition of your connector. When I did (years ago; photos below), I found that mine had been nicely cooking despite showing no signs of failure. Had I not anticipated, I'm sure I would have encountered a failure eventually.
Thanks,
Bike is in winter hibernation right now but as soon as she wakes up, that'll be the first thing I check out......

Phil

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Its a very common problem. Mine cooked about 6 years ago on my vlx. I used crimp connectos that had goo inside with integral heat shrink. Not sure where they came from, electrician at work gave them to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts