Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinda results can I expect from the stock sprocket to a 38t sprocket swap? Looking for lower rpms at highway speeds. No tach on the bike so cant say what it runs at now but seems to be almost wide open throttle to run 75 mph
I weigh in around 235 and my GF weighs 135, is there no hope to get this bike to run lower rpms at highway speeds?
Can I run a taller tire then stock also?
I haven't done anything to the bike except put new tires on it, The guy I bought it from said carbs were re-jetted, but don't know to what size, also baffles were completely removed causing the need for re-jetting to stop most of the popping and farting on deceleration
Bike runs great around town, up to 60 mph.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Get a bigger bike...

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
I have a VT750 Ace with the 38 tooth sprocket and believe it was around a 600-700 Rpm drop at highway speed. A great improvement over the stock sprocket and with minimal change at takeoff. The sooner you change it the sooner you will be happier with your bike. I ride loaded for long 3000+ mile road trips and have no need for a bigger bike

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I think the 750 and 1300 shadows both have about a 400 pound weight limit, so between you and ur GF, with clothing etc you are bumping up against that limit.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The weight limit is a joke. Ive had over 500lbs on it and it can accelerate quite nicely. Put the sprocket on and quit worrying about it :)

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
I think, if you take it to full throttle (in 3rd gear) until the rev limiter does its job, you will find that you still have plenty of RPMs left...
Running 75MPH in 5th => you are not anywhere near the maximum RPMs set for the rev limiter at 75mph...

Just so I have the experience, I MAY just try the 38T rear sprocket swap on this next chain and sprocket replacement upcoming next month...

Is there a set offered to do this? OR do I need to buy separate components, as it`ll need fewer links in the chain...?...
What is the correct number of links?

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
I think, if you take it to full throttle (in 3rd gear) until the rev limiter does its job, you will find that you still have plenty of RPMs left...
Running 75MPH in 5th => you are not anywhere near the maximum RPMs set for the rev limiter at 75mph...

Just so I have the experience, I MAY just try the 38T rear sprocket swap on this next chain and sprocket replacement upcoming next month...

Is there a set offered to do this? OR do I need to buy separate components, as it`ll need fewer links in the chain...?...
What is the correct number of links?

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis
As far as I know you need to purchase the items separately. Buy a 38 tooth sprocket that will fit the Ace and the front OEM sprocket at the same time. Your chain size will be a new 120 tooth link chain. (Stock is 122).

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
No need to buy a new front sprocket if you dont need one. I thought a 38T needs a 100 link chain?

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
No need to buy a new front sprocket if you dont need one. I thought a 38T needs a 100 link chain?
It is recommended to change both rear and front sprockets at the same time unless you are really changing the rear at a premature time. The chain size is only reduced 2 links as the diameter size of the sprocket is only reduced by 4 teeth.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
Thank you SuperboyX, this is information I can use...
Most who read my posts, already know that I replace tires and chain/spockets in sets...

;)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanx Superboy

It is recommended to change both rear and front sprockets at the same time unless you are really changing the rear at a premature time. The chain size is only reduced 2 links as the diameter size of the sprocket is only reduced by 4 teeth.
this is good info, my bike has 10838 miles on it, 1000 are mine, and still has almost original everything except for new Pirelli Route 66's and those funny looking pipes, so its probably time to change both sprockets?

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
this is good info, my bike has 10838 miles on it, 1000 are mine, and still has almost original everything except for new Pirelli Route 66's and those funny looking pipes, so its probably time to change both sprockets?

Not unless it needs it ;)

Honda buck$ are scarce around here at Christmas time :D

I`ve only replaced these when it is necessary, especially at nearly $200 Honda Bucks;)

It isn`t hard to tell when it is time...
Check MOM, for reading the sprocket wear...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The front sprocket had 36000 on it when i sold it. Never was a need to change it.

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
As far as I know you need to purchase the items separately. Buy a 38 tooth sprocket that will fit the Ace and the front OEM sprocket at the same time. Your chain size will be a new 120 tooth link chain. (Stock is 122).
I bought the 120 link chain and the 38 tooth rear and the stock front sprocket on Amazon last spring. Runs great ! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts