Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought the 120 chain for the 38t, did you have to take links out? Thanks

also, for anyone else in the group, what are your freeway speeds now that you have the 38t rear sprocket?
I have the stock 44t sprocket and I rode primarily on the freeway. When not splitting lanes in heavy traffic I’m pretty much doing 80 most of the time. My gas mileage isn’t super great though. At around 80 miles I’m having to switch to reserve. I’m hoping the sprocket change will have lower the RPM’s and help with gas Milage.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The stock one the 38 replaced was the 41 tooth on the 750 Ace iirc. 44T sounds like maybe it's a 600? Might be too big a jump.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
557 Posts
I ordered myself a 17T front. 17 / 44 is .386, which is like running 16 / 41. The difference is that the chain length difference required from the stock setup is 1/2 of a tooth, and switching over is much easier. You can switch front sprockets on a VLX in a few minutes without removing the chain or the rear wheel, and the chain adjuster has enough movement to accommodate the switch.

17 Tooth Front Sprocket for VT600C | Honda Shadow Forums I got my 17T a couple days ago, but haven't gotten around to taking it out of the package yet, let alone installing.

Running 16 / 40, I'd expect to shorten by two links vs stock.

It's too bad that the overall ratio in 1rst on my VLX is already steeper than optimum, but if I wanted to take it cross country, it think it would be worth the extra clutch slipping on takeoff.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,100 Posts
Welcome to the site @Sarimoto ...
Yes, we are curious as the model because there`re so many differences...
BUT, When I went 38T on the rear of my 98 750 ACE I didn`t hafta remove any links...
The set is generally pretty exact, they got it figured out already, when you order thattaway...
Scarolet O`hara & Gone with th` Wind Quote "I don`t know nothing about birthing no baby"...

I don`t know nothing about the VLXs, ;)

Dennis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered myself a 17T front. 17 / 44 is .386, which is like running 16 / 41. The difference is that the chain length difference required from the stock setup is 1/2 of a tooth, and switching over is much easier. You can switch front sprockets on a VLX in a few minutes without removing the chain or the rear wheel, and the chain adjuster has enough movement to accommodate the switch.

17 Tooth Front Sprocket for VT600C | Honda Shadow Forums I got my 17T a couple days ago, but haven't gotten around to taking it out of the package yet, let alone installing.

Running 16 / 40, I'd expect to shorten by two links vs stock.

It's too bad that the overall ratio in 1rst on my VLX is already steeper than optimum, but if I wanted to take it cross country, it think it would be worth the extra clutch slipping on takeoff.
Oh wow, this is quite useful as this is my first chain driven bike. I’ve always had shaft drive motorcycles and while I’m sure I can learn to shorten a chain and rear sprocket, I do find it a bit intimidating. Changing the front sprocket does seem a lot easier. I’d be curious to see how it works out for you once you install it. I may continue to run the stock setup for a few more weeks as I’ve gotten used to it but I do plan on taking longer trips on it and I’m hoping to do the sprocket change for that. Anyways. Thanks for the help and the information. It’s much appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the site @Sarimoto ...
Yes, we are curious as the model because there`re so many differences...
BUT, When I went 38T on the rear of my 98 750 ACE I didn`t hafta remove any links...
The set is generally pretty exact, they got it figured out already, when you order thattaway...
Scarolet O`hara & Gone with th` Wind Quote "I don`t know nothing about birthing no baby"...

I don`t know nothing about the VLXs, ;)

Dennis
Thanks @Captain d! I’m loving this forum. Everyone seems really helpful and I’ve already learned so much just going through previous threads. I have an aero 750 which is a shaft drive motorcycle and I also have a 1975 gold wing that is also a shaft drive motorcycle but since recently finding out about how a sprocket change can change the whole ride of the motorcycle it sometimes make me wish my aero was a chain drive motorcycle so that I could put a 38t rear sprocket on it. It’s not too bad as even with shaft drive I easily hit 90pmh and faster than that if I needed it (I try not to go about 85 if I don’t have to) but it does some nice to be able to swap them. As far as the vlx 600, I’ve only had it for 8 weeks but it’s a fun little bike and I’m really enjoying it. I’m just hoping to improve the gas mileage a tiny bit and get it up to 85mph with less effort than it does now. Anyways thanks again

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
424 Posts
Oh wow, this is quite useful as this is my first chain driven bike. I’ve always had shaft drive motorcycles and while I’m sure I can learn to shorten a chain and rear sprocket, I do find it a bit intimidating...
Shortening a chain is easy if you have a decent chain breaker tool. Don't let it intimidate you. It doesn't need to be expensive to be effective.

WIN.MAX Chain Breaker and Riveting Repair Tools Car Auto Repair Set Motorcycle https://a.co/d/bx6FVFa

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shortening a chain is easy if you have a decent chain breaker tool. Don't let it intimidate you. It doesn't need to be expensive to be effective.

WIN.MAX Chain Breaker and Riveting Repair Tools Car Auto Repair Set Motorcycle https://a.co/d/0FFBhOA
Oh that’s great! I should learn to do it. Especially if I’m gonna be traveling as far as I’m planning to in the next few months. I just checked and did a google search (the link didn’t work for me for some reason) and it’s so nice to find an affordable option! Thanks! I’m gonna post an update, hopefully soon.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,100 Posts
I use a side grinder to break/ & remove links from a chain...
Simplle enough for this ol` red neck taught shadetree mechanic ;)

Enjoy Wrenching, LOVE RIDING,
D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oh wow, this is quite useful as this is my first chain driven bike. I’ve always had shaft drive motorcycles and while I’m sure I can learn to shorten a chain and rear sprocket, I do find it a bit intimidating. Changing the front sprocket does seem a lot easier. I’d be curious to see how it works out for you once you install it. I may continue to run the stock setup for a few more weeks as I’ve gotten used to it but I do plan on taking longer trips on it and I’m hoping to do the sprocket change for that. Anyways. Thanks for the help and the information. It’s much appreciated.
Shortening is straightforward, I've done it without a chain breaker using Capt. D's method of grind pins on one side, drive them out with a punch. But shortening is a one way operation, not many riders will recommend increasing chain length with more than one master link, or have the confidence to peen a chain pin at home.

Honda says "riveted master link only", but I've ignored that advice and use a clipped link. Riveted is safer, if you do a good job. A buddy had a riveted link on his Sportster, but apparently he didn't do such a good job because the chain separated at high speed. He was lucky and didn't get hurt, but the chain shattered the engine case and locked up the engine.

Clipped master links are easier and simpler to install, but if the clip comes loose, very bad. Clipped links were always good enough in 40 years of riding, and I don't see anything different about the VLX than any of those bikes, so I elected to go with a clipped link at my last chain replacement.

A clipped link will also make sprocket changeover, and rear wheel removal easier. I can separate the chain instead of moving the rear wheel far forward to create slack. I had my front and rear sprockets off, and the front came off impressively easy, with the front sprocket cover being apparently designed for quick removal with no special tools.

Changing just one tooth, at the front is attractive for cross country to me, because I can run stock and oversize, and probably one tooth undersize, all with the same chain length. I can put my low ratio front sprocket in my saddlebag ride the distance with "long" ratio and change it over in 20 minutes at my destination to "short" ratio for local riding, getting the best of both worlds. Wouldn't want to try that with a 2nd chain and big/heavy rear sprocket. Luggage space on my VLX is pretty limited to begin with.

Years ago, I changed sprockets for a trip all around the US on my CB450K4, and I found myself in San Francisco with a big front sprocket and hadn't thought to bring the stock sprocket. Starting from a stop on those San Fran hills involved some excessive and worrisome clutch slipping and I was a long way from home.

If you are considering a 17T from the source I linked to in my other thread, be aware that they were out of stock in the 525 chain width size for half a year before coming available again recently, and they are showing only 2 available. You can run a 520 sprocket, but it's narrower, which isn't ideal, mainly because it allows the chain a little lateral movement which could possibly interfere with engine case or components. The Pro-Tek 17T sprocket looks to be good quality steel. Maybe I'll get time to install it tomorrow.

Front sprockets, other than stock 16T, seem to be a bit of a rare thing, probably because the model has been out of production for more than a decade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use a side grinder to break/ & remove links from a chain...
Simplle enough for this ol` *** taught shadetree mechanic ;)

Enjoy Wrenching, LOVE RIDING,
D
Yeah, I’ve seen a few guys do that on YouTube. But I guess the main thing would be putting the chain back together. I’m sure once I do it, it’ll be demystified and it won’t feel some scary. As far as shade tree…. I love his channel! That guy has inspired me so much to take longer trips.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,100 Posts
I can say red neck but not r.ed.ne.ck???
WOW ! ! !
Yeah I use clip type masterlink so that`s easy...
BUT a stake type ain`t bad though, merely place a body working dolly behind the chain to knock the stake type together...

Sometimes it pays to have a wife, one who can be your extra hand ;)

Gotta "Git `er Done"
Dennis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can say red neck but not r.ed.ne.ck???
WOW ! ! !
Yeah I use clip type masterlink so that`s easy...
BUT a stake type ain`t bad though, merely place a body working dolly behind the chain to knock the stake type together...

Sometimes it pays to have a wife, one who can be your extra hand ;)

Gotta "Git `er Done"
Dennis
Well, I don’t have a wife but Im keeping my fingers crossed cause an extra hand would be amazing. He’ll, just a girlfriend who doesn’t hate motorcycles would be amazing (that was my last situation). Anyways, thanks again for the info. When I get back from an upcoming trip I’m gonna do the sprocket swap and I’ll post an update then. Hope everyone is doing well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts