Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's this for frustrating? Bought the bike (new 2006 Sabre), got it home, then lost balance and dropped it on its left side in the garage. Bent the clutch lever into an interesting, but less-than-functional S-curve and twisted the left front turn signal light. Now have a new clutch lever and a replacement bracket for the light (I suspect it is bent as well).

I don't have a service manual. How hard is it to replace the clutch lever? Can I just remove the screw on top, pull it out and put the new one in? Any gotchas? I've done mostly electrical work on my previous bikes, so not very mechanical, though I can manage. If doing this myself might make the bike unsafe to drive, I'd rather pay the dealer to do it. Also bought some Cobra highway bars and footboards, so maybe they could put everything on at once, though it would cost me some $$$.

Advice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am with Dave...Easy enough to do...Look into getting a manual for your bike for future service...

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Welcome aboard Shadowrider11. Most of the part put on/take off stuff is fairly straight forward and simple. I'm pretty confident you'll be able to handle it. Now that you have passed the 3 post test, (kind of a stupid requirement... but I digress....) you'll find that posting questions over in the technical section generally meets with good results. There's a lot of folks over there with extensive wrenching experience that can explain how-to in very simple and understandable terms. Hope you have many hours and miles of enjoyable riding and you get where you are comfortable doing most of your wrenching. I'm not much of a mechanic but have learned to do the vast majority of my own repairs now.

Ignore the many pleas and demands for pictures and then follow on complaints about pic size. Many around here are worse than a bunch of old pervs hanging around a teen cheerleader site!! Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Yeah man, save that money for your pocket. There is enough knowledge on here to help you do most anything. The things you speak of now are very simple to do.

Welcome to da forum and congrats on buying a great bike.

I have a Sabre manual in pdf form but it's too large to send via e-mail. If someone can tell me how to send it otherwise, be happy to do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys!

I figured this was something fairly simple, but since the bike is brand new I'm being more careful than I would be otherwise. My last bike was a 1987 Gold Wing; I sold it in 2005 and haven't ridden since then. So I guess I'm being paranoid until I get the feel for this one.

I bought Cobra highway bars, which will be be put on ASAP, so if it tips over again I'll have a bit of protection. Thanks to this forum and some other sources, I know the best way to do that installation.

Thank goodness for the Internet!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Welcome..attempt the few items yourself, and as you complete them, you'll feel confident to get into a little more complicated things..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad I stumbled across this thread. I did the exact same thing (bent the lever), and mine just arrived today. I've been looking through the Clymer manual with no luck, and had nightmare visions of clutch fluid spraying, springs springing, parts scattering all over the sidewalk . . .

Read this thread and tackled it in five minutes. Took me longer to get the grease off my hands than to swap the lever. Thanks, forum!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.