Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about a wire that is next to the battery that is not connected. I am not sure if it was an added accessory, or something that needs to be reconnected, but the bike starts and runs fine. If anyone might have any insight on what the wire might be I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Looks like the PO bypassed and rewired the + and - battery cables since the white wires are not stock nor of proper wire gauge. That unconnected black wire is the original negative battery cable. I'd suggest to replace the + and -side with stock battery cables before the amp draw heat melts the wire insulation and causes a short. Someone jury rigged rigged the battery connections with wire they had on hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The white wires that you can see in the picture actually go to one of those little 12v plug in chargers.. He put that on there so he could plug a gps in to it.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,253 Posts
That unconnected black wire is the original negative battery cable.
Maybe. Doubt it, though. That's not what it should look like. Hard to see but I believe the negative cable connection shows in the photo.

If anyone might have any insight on what the wire might be I would greatly appreciate it.
What's on the other end? It does have one. Trace it and you might know.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
^^^^ Eagle. It's hard to tell exactly what you've got there but definitely looks like the black cable is not connected to the battery. I suggest you do a thorough diagnostic on the wiring to see where everything goes and correct whatever is cobbled up. Those white wires are no where large enough to act as main battery cables and will cause you problems at some inconvenient time.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750
561 Posts
Yes,just trace to the other end of that big black cable.The positive and negative hookup looks fine.My guess is he had something else attached to that large black wire.It probably can be removed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all of the responses. I can tell that this will be a very helpful forum for all of my newbie questions I am sure I will have. I determined that it was just a wire that he had something else connected to in the past.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750
561 Posts
I appreciate all of the responses. I can tell that this will be a very helpful forum for all of my newbie questions I am sure I will have. I determined that it was just a wire that he had something else connected to in the past.
Just remove it to avoid the clutter.Way overkill of a wire for a bike accessory anyhow.Glad you figured it out.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Definitely remove or secure the wire. As it sits vibration could cause it to short against the positive terminal and if the other side is touching ground, it is thick enough to cause a fire.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,253 Posts
I determined that it was just a wire that he had something else connected to in the past.
Looks to me like something done to get a ground connection to the other side of the bike. There are probably easier ways.

Just remove it to avoid the clutter.
Definitely! No good can come from having a loose wire bouncing around. Even if the chances of bad things happening are remote, why invite trouble?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,461 Posts
cluttered wiring

I am new here also but would like to add 2 cents. I was a Japanese car technician for 40 years and can apply a lot of that knowledge to bikes now that I have one again. (An old 1983 750 shadow.)
I agree that those wires need to be cleaned up and insulated better or removed if possible. But that big ground is sure concerning. It looks looks an aftermarket part, but why is it there. Good grounds are of major importance.
Anyway as we used to say in the auto field= DON'T LET THE SMOKE OUT !!!

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
That black loose wire looks like a starter ground wire by it's wire gauge and connection. The white wires at the battery connection are jury rigged as you can see the original cable battery connections on the battery terminals and the wire ends connected under them to the battery. Also note the black spot on the insulation of the left side white wire. There's a sure short that will happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts