Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just shy of 600 miles and about to do my first oil and filter change tomorrow after work. I have decided after hours/days of research to use Rotella T5 10w30 and a Purolator Pure1 PL14612 filter. It took me awhile to mount up the courage to ride my motorcycle regularly due to the fact I ate curb my 2nd day of owning it. No major damage to the bike, just a few scratches on the mirrors, brake fluid res cap, and an embarrassing scuff on the rear fender. Sprains and bruises on myself. I now commute on a regular basis to work and have racked up almost 600 miles in 4 months. I am happy to say that I am gaining more confidence each ride and learning to relax and enjoy it again.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
Good for you! Glad to hear that your spill ended in not much more than a bruised ego.. Don't be shy about parking lot practice, I still hit the parking lots to practice all the skills I should have under my belt but rarely use on the street.. The upside is being that when you do need to use those skills on the street - you have them :)

Welcome to The Forum!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome Chef. Don't feel bad about the dump, I laid mine over on my leg trying a slow turn within one minute of leaving the dealership where I bought my bike. Enjoy your new bike.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I am just shy of 600 miles and about to do my first oil and filter change tomorrow after work. I have decided after hours/days of research to use Rotella T5 10w30 and a Purolator Pure1 PL14612 filter. It took me awhile to mount up the courage to ride my motorcycle regularly due to the fact I ate curb my 2nd day of owning it. No major damage to the bike, just a few scratches on the mirrors, brake fluid res cap, and an embarrassing scuff on the rear fender. Sprains and bruises on myself. I now commute on a regular basis to work and have racked up almost 600 miles in 4 months. I am happy to say that I am gaining more confidence each ride and learning to relax and enjoy it again.
I put mine down twice last year (2014) after I brought my Shadow home and I'm an experienced rider but new to the Shadow. First time going real slow and applied too much front brake with the front wheel slightly turned. Highway bars did their job. Second time doing the same thing while driving the bike into the shed for winter storage and the rear tire lost traction. It's all about practice and getting used to the feel and how the bike reacts in certain situations. As for your oil and filter selection I can't comment since you haven't posted what bike and engine size you have. You should add that to your signature and update your profile location for any further questions you may have about your bike's needs. ;) Welcome to the HSN forum!

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
and welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome! No worries about a fall as long as you're not hurt. More time in the saddle, better it is!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
T6 is full synthetic and only a few dollars more at walmart. A lot of members including myself swear by T6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts