Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and had a few questions. Bike stats are: 04 VLX with 5000 miles.

I have searched the forums through and through as to which sprocket I should put on my VLX. Some say the 40t and some say the 41t. So my question is which would be better.

I will be doing mostly 1up riding with very little 2up.

I don't want to lose to much pick up and go at the low end.

I plan on doing a lot of backroad and highway riding, because that is what we have here in Wyoming.

Also when I change the rear sprocket should I go ahead and change the front sprocket since the bike has 5000 miles?

Should I change the chain as well, which looks to be in good shape and well taken care of. Will I have to remove links from the chain when putting either the 41t or 40t sprocket on?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that are given.

Chad

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a 97 VLX, and changed to the 40t sprocket and was thrilled with the results !!!
The only negative effect I noticed was a loss of power at highway speeds going straight into a stiff wind. There is virtually no loss of low end punch, and the lack of vibration and the greater top speed is well worth the trouble !!!!
If I remember correctly, I had to take out 2 links, but I could be wrong, hahahaha
My chain was in good shape, so I didnt change it, and had no ill effects for not doing so.
In short, DO THE CHANGE AND DO IT NOW !!!
You will not be disappointed in the change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yldcats

Thank you for the responce, it's good to get advice from someone that has been there and done that.

Again thank you,

Chad

G

·
0 Posts
j2man said:
I went with a 37 and I am very pleased with the results:
That would be on a 750? Different animal from the VLX. PostWYrider - a 40 tooth should be fine for your bike. That's only 2 teeth smaller than stock - roughly equivalent to a 39 tooth on a 750. You'll like the difference on the highway for sure :D

j2man, the pictures on your webpage are huge. People on dialup will have serious problems clicking your link.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just purchased a 2002 VLX with 1600 miles on it. I use it to go gack and forth to work. I drive mostly freeway. I weigh 170 lbs and will do mostly 1 up riding. Is the 40 tooth sprocket change for me? PostWYrider, did you do the change? If so how do you like it? I am a bit concerned with the high ratio first gear and a cold engine what the performance is going to be. The change from a 44 tooth to a 40 tooth will be a 10% change. Is that to much. If I make the change and do not like it it will cost me a new chain because I will need to shorten the chain for the new sprocket. Any help would be GREATLY apprecieated.
The VLX is my first bike and I love it.

Thanks
Roger

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
DynoBobSlick said:
PostWYrider - a 40 tooth should be fine for your bike. That's only 2 teeth smaller than stock - roughly equivalent to a 39 tooth on a 750.
Actually, stock, the VLX, has a 44 tooth rear... that would be 4 teeth difference.

And no, a 40 tooth on a VLX wouldn't even close to a 39 tooth on a 750.

750's come with either a 41 or 42 tooth rear and a 17 tooth front.
That gives you either a 2.41 or 2.47 ratio.

The VLX comes with a 44 rear and a 16 front for a 2.75 ratio.

Putting a 39 tooth on the 750 will give you a 2.29 ratio.
A 40 tooth on the VLX will give you a 2.50 ratio. That's a pretty good difference.
Putting a 40 tooth on the VLX would put you close to the ratio
of a stock 750 with a 42 tooth chain (2.47 vs 2.50).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I made the change to the 40 tooth rear sprocket and so far I like it. I removed two links from the chain and it took about 2 hours to do. Now the bike feels much better on the freeway. With the 44 tooth rear sprocket I was needing to shift from third to fourth around 40 MPH. Now I can run 40 to 45 MPH easly in third gear and still have power to pass. Now see what it does for the gas milage. :D

Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts