Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just purchased a 2002 VLX with 1600 miles on it. I use it to go gack and forth to work. I drive mostly freeway. I weigh 170 lbs and will do mostly 1 up riding. Is the 40 tooth sprocket change for me? PostWYrider, did you do the change? If so how do you like it? I am a bit concerned with the high ratio first gear and a cold engine what the performance is going to be. The change from a 44 tooth to a 40 tooth will be a 10% change. Is that to much. If I make the change and do not like it it will cost me a new chain because I will need to shorten the chain for the new sprocket. Any help would be GREATLY apprecieated.
The VLX is my first bike and I love it.

Thanks
Roger

·
Registered
29 Posts
I made the change to the 40 tooth rear sprocket and so far I like it. I removed two links from the chain and it took about 2 hours to do. Now the bike feels much better on the freeway. With the 44 tooth rear sprocket I was needing to shift from third to fourth around 40 MPH. Now I can run 40 to 45 MPH easly in third gear and still have power to pass. Now see what it does for the gas milage. :D

Roger

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.