Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In September of 2014 my clutch cable broke. I made it home by shifting without a clutch. (in neutral approaching a stop, sitting on the bike pushing until I hit about 3 mph then shifting into 1st, feathering the throttle at every upshift/downshift) It wasn't fun but it's nice skill to learn should you need it. At that time I decided I would order two clutch cables and keep one on the bike as a spare. Last Saturday, 5+ years later, my clutch cable broke. Pushed it off to the side, installed the new cable and within 15 minutes I was on the road again! Ordering another cable soon.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,666 Posts
I snapped the clutch cable on a 69 Triumph 500 a few days before my license test so did the test with vice grips locking the cable onto the lever. That bike and a Norton always had cable problems but I have not had any problems with the Hondas so I am wondering why yours are breaking?

G.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I snapped the clutch cable on a 69 Triumph 500 a few days before my license test so did the test with vice grips locking the cable onto the lever. That bike and a Norton always had cable problems but I have not had any problems with the Hondas so I am wondering why yours are breaking?

G.
I assume the first one broke because it sat too long somewhere. It was 6 years old and had less than 5,000 miles when I bought it. Cable broke only 3 months after I bought it. The second cable, I would say normal wear and tear... 5+ years and over 70,000 miles.

Reactions: longbeachgary1

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I thought about an extra when I replaced the cable a few months ago. Might do that in a year or so.

Mine went this summer. It kept getting harder and harder to shift and I kept adjusting the cable up at the lever. Went on a 150+ mile ride on Father's Day, took another ride a few weeks later and I had to coast into the garage in neutral because the cable finally went. Thing only had 36k on it, but I had not been a fanatical clutch cable luber upper. I am now.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,416 Posts
Here is something that was brought up on another forum: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It is an emergency cable kit. I'm not sure if it would work for the Shadow or not. At some point I will order one and check it out. I had a clutch cable go out on a different bike. I started in neutral and shifted up and down without issue. I didn't totally stop as I have never had a bike shift into neutral without a clutch. I wish I would have had the emergency cable kit on me when it broke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts