Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Yessir, Harryc.
If indeed there are no Shadows on the list, then yes.
My favorite is missing.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Seems to be that this wasn't a public opinion poll and skewed by what several writers considered to be the top 50. Yes there are many bikes not listed which I would have considered to be in the top 50 list

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
I can tell you Strait Out that would NOT be my list of the Top 50 of all time and Iv been riding for close to fifty years. Some of the bikes on that list Iv Never even herd of. :p

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's a great list, I guess, if you love sports bikes but what if you prefer cruisers or baggers or choppers. Top 50 best is to subjective to even begin making.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Three of my favorites are on there. Honda Rune, Honda CB750, and the Kawasaki 750 H2. I'd agree with the Shadow being on there, that is why I posted this list. IMHO, the fact that there is an Indian and not a Harley on the list is kind of a slap in the face to Harley. Even if you don't care for Harley personally you'd have to admit they played a major role in Motorcycle history. I also agree there should be more baggers on there. Which baggers are the greatest Motorcycles of all time? I know which ones I'd pick, and they happen to be the ones I want ;). Victory Cross Country and Harley Street Glide.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
No Sportster?
Really..who can tale a list seriously that excludes the mighty Sporty
No Shadow?
Just as without Harley there would be no Honda Shadow, it could be argued that without the Honda Shadow there would be no metric cruiser market at all.
Sorry but this list is a bust.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
15 Hondas on that list...that is impressive. Shadow? Maybe, I'm just not feeling it when i see some of the bikes on that list.
I love the Britten V1000 but that Beemer R32 should be #1. One of the best looking / best designed bikes ever.

The 'missing' Sportster? I agree that the Sporty should be on that list, not for technology, but for its cultural impact. Should be there every bit as much as the Vincent Black Shadow and a bunch of the others. I'm surprised it's not listed.

BTW.....Want a good story? Read up on John Britten and his V1000. He did some stuff that was crazy back in the day but he showed some seasoned designers what could be done and what could be done better. Wiki won't even scratch the surface. If he had not died so young....

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
I`m glad I didn`t "waste my data" on the list then!

Sportster, & Shadow ain`t included?
How about the Magna?
I own all 3 of these presently...
I Ain`t wasting my data allotment on the list;)

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Strongly agree!

·
Registered
563 Posts
That list is one persons opinion. Sure would not be mine. The Goldwing would be there. What about some of the great Harleys. I think the Shadow belongs there as well.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,386 Posts
Bike 48 and 25 are both the same picture, and early Bonneville.
You beat me to it. The 1937 Speed Twin had girder forks, a hard tail and sprung saddle.

I found it to be bordering on the bizarre. A top 50 list of anything is always going to be subjective but some of the choices struck me as plain weird.

No Brough Superior SS100?

No Manx Norton?

No MV Augusta 750/

Triumph Hurricane?

I'm not saying that any of the above should have been in the list referred to by the original poster but they would all make any list I compiled. :)

Collector

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No problem with that list...All fine rides
Yes they are. :). Honestly when I started this thread I was not looking to start an 'S' storm of 'I don't agree with this list" at all. I was truly interested in knowing what the members here think are the best bikes of all time. Screw the list and the editor of the list...it's not important other than to start the discussion.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,094 Posts
No Harley, no Goldwing, no Vespa/Lambretta, no Norton, and the number 1 bike is a severely limited production unit.

G.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I don't agree that the list shows the 50 greatest motorcycles of ALL time..

We wouldn't have ever heard of most of those motorcycles if it hadn't been for the cheap ex military motorcycles that came on the market after WW2, the bikes that the hard up working man could afford to ride every day to work and back, the one's that we rode through the wind and rain to our factory jobs, names like Harley, BSA, Ariel, Matchless, Villiers, BMW. To list the best bike of all time as a bike that only produced 10 machines and probably used them all on the track takes the edge off the spirit of motorcycling.

Back in the day the motorcycle was a different beast entirely, hard to start, square edged tires, easy to break down and easy to fix beside the road, and the men that rode them were tougher and wore old ex forces bomber jackets to keep some of the worst weather off and protect them when they fell off. which they frequently did, because the roads and the tires were so different.

Would I like to go back to those days or even ride the old bikes that I used to.. Never in a million years, give me a comfortable cruiser, with an electric starter that I can ride a thousand miles in a day, stopping only for fuel and coffee..

John.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Seems like the writer of the article was definitely partial to sportbikes. I would agree with most that there should have been a broader range of bike styles. Maybe throw out a couple of those sportbike models for some cruisers.

My list would have included a couple Harley models, maybe the Sportster and/or Softail? The Goldwing, maybe the Rebel (the ubiquitous starter cruiser bike), Magna, etc. The Honda Shadow was the bike that caused the Harley lawsuit against Honda, so I thought that would have been a consideration?

Some cool bikes on that list though!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts