Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got very curious.........so i called 3 different dealerships abput the 600 mile service on a spirit 1100.

1) 1st dealer - " we like to quote about five hours labor just in case, but it may be about 4"

so I asked what they did- " Well ya know,we change the oil and examine it and everything, complete a diagnostic safety check and inspect the machine "

so you change the oil and make sure the lights all work - " well its a required honda safety check "

2) 2nd dealer - same questions , but quote of 3 to 4 hours, only couldn't tell me what they did because the bike condition determined that. Not sure how much condition there could be at 600 miles unless it was a complete lemon.

3) 3 rd dealer, Performance motorsports san juan capistrano, I mention them by name because their tech seemed to be the only one not pulling my you know what.

" we change the oil, thats a given, basically we do want to see if ya got chunks of metal in it,then we have an issue. We clean and check the brakes, sometimes they can get glazed and make some noise, generally they arn't a problem. we disconnect all the cables and lubricate them, and of course do a safety check over the bike, make sure nuts and bolts are all tightened okay.

we charge 2 hours labor, and you can do all the service yourself if you buy the oil and kits. The only benefit you get paying us to do it, we may catch if there is something wrong that you may not "

Its amazing the difference in the dealers. But at least the last one gave me a pretty straight answer

·
Registered
335 Posts
That IS a straight answer. Sounds like a dealer I would give my business to if I was in the area. I like to do most of my work myself, but sometimes it's fun to pay a few bucks for an oil change while I look over the new crop of bikes... especially since I have no garage and the few nice days we've had I want to be riding not wrenching.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I just took my wifes Aero in for her first 600 mile checkup. They changed all the oils, lubed the cables, did a safety check but the most important thing that I was after was their adjusting the valves. ( I believe the 600 mile checkup should include valve adjustments - per Honda ). My cost was $ 175. I didn't gripe much because I did not want to tackle the valve adjustments myself.

From here on out I will do all the maintenance myself.

Chris

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my understanding, and I'm not a wrench myself, although I like to do basic things, the spirit 1100 deosn't need valves adjusted, they're hydraulic........

suppossedly its a pretty free maintenance bike, which is nice

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,277 Posts
Its amazing the difference in the dealers. But at least the last one gave me a pretty straight answer
Good to see there's some reputable ones out there!

When I bought my bike, the upper shock bolts were completely missing! But I didn't notice. I took it back to the dealer for the 600 mile service and it apparently didn't turn up in his "safety check". I found it about 200 miles after that -- and stayed away from that dealer's service shop for years; I've only returned since the service manager has changed.

I've got no problem paying for quality work even if the prices are high; I'll make the decision as to whether my time is worth the money. But I greatly dislike (understatement!) paying for the privilege of having my life and/or property needlessly put at risk.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dealer "service".......

For the most part I think dealers are a rip off. A few months after getting my 1100 Spirit I turned 12K on the clock so I went to the local dealer to ask about their 12k mile sevice. I asked what they charged and what sevices they performed. Well the cost was $300.00. The service mgr. said they change the oil and check all the fluids and "adjust the valves". This was before I understood the bike's valves didn't need adjusting. I thought for $300 bucks they're going to change the oil and basicly "look" at the other things as say thanks very much for the cash. Since then I've done all the maintainance myself and only go there to get major stuff done....which has been never and I now have 40k on the bike.

As an aside, my wife had a 250 Rebel when she was learning to ride and I took it to the dealer to have the rear brake lever serviced. It has gone out of adjustment somehow. $100 bucks later all they did was adjust the little nut on the rear brake housing lever and said thank you very much. I was pissed because they didn't fix the issue. I got the bike home and fixed the problem myself.

The long and short of it is, unless you need major work done, learn as much as you can about servicing your bike yourself. It pays off financially and you know the work has been actually done.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
We have two Honda dealers in my immediate area. One charges $75/hr and the other charges $95/hr...yeah, yikes! There is an Indy dealer that sits right between them that charges $55/hr and where the other folks do sloppy work the Indy guy goes over a bike top to bottom even if you just bring it in for an oil change. They always ride the bike to make sure everything is working as it should.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd like to do all the maintenance service by myself but have no tools. I also prefer spending my weekends riding.

When I bought my bike, the dealer offered a maintenance plan for $7xx.00 (don't remember the exact value) til the 25k service including labor, oil, filters and other stuff. I thought it was a fair price and the first 600m service was pretty decent.

Hope will never have problem with them until 25k...

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Christopher said:
I just took my wifes Aero in for her first 600 mile checkup. They changed all the oils, lubed the cables, did a safety check but the most important thing that I was after was their adjusting the valves. ( I believe the 600 mile checkup should include valve adjustments - per Honda ). My cost was $ 175. I didn't gripe much because I did not want to tackle the valve adjustments myself.

From here on out I will do all the maintenance myself.

Chris
Yeah, our valves are manually adjusted.
:(

·
Registered
429 Posts
Also look in your Owners Manual that came with the Bike and you can see what should be done at the 600 mile service. If it is a Honda Dealer they should be doing what the Owners Manual says, if not find another Dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I let my dealer--Carolina Honda--do my 600 mile service in September 2005. They were very upfront with the price about $100 and that included oil change with filter and a check for any loose hardware and checked and adjusted cables. They told me I could do the work myself but suggested letting them do the first service to make sure everything was alright and also have it documented for warranty purposes.

I was leaving for a trip to Florida within a few days so I let them do it for the peace of mind. I now do my own servicing but because they were honest upfront I wouldn't hesitate to use them should I need someting done beyond my comfort level.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would bet that the first two dealers would have changed the oil and given the bike a visual inspection taking about 20 minutes total and pocketed the 3 or 4 hours labor for doing nothing. I did my 600 mile service myself which amounted to adjusting the chain. I had already changed the oil earlier, and while some will disagree, I figure quiet valves are happy valves. I will check them at a couple of thousand miles or so and then unless they start making noise I may never check them again. I change the oil between 2 and 3 thousand miles, I'll change the coolant next fall, and everything else just as needed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i had a 2001 ACE 750 that I bought new and sold in 2003 with 55,000 miles on it and never had the valves adjusted. I changed the oil, lubed/replaced the chain when necessary, and put brakes on the bike when needed.

I did take it in for the 600 mile service and the dealer told me I could do it myself and told me what to look for. I went home and did it myself but always went back to them for parts or accessories I needed because they treated me great.

--BB

·
Registered
335 Posts
The dealer I bought my bike from wasn't going to check th valves.. "it's not on our list". That particular job was beyond my comfort level though, so I asked them to please do it... and the total price was $175 and it took them 3 days "We have to have the bike in our possession for 48 hours to be sure it's cold before we can check the valves") I moved so I don't have to deal with them any more, and I wouldn't recommend their service dept. to anyone else.

BTW now my valves are starting to make noise, and I'm only at the 6,000 mi mark, this time I'm adjusting them myself, comfort level not withstanding.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have flipped it back and forth, comfort level is important, Oil and fluids change, no problem, checking my lights for " safety " and all the nuts and bolts, no problem.

But I owuldn't mind hacing a decent tech give it the once over for its first service, make sure that all the vibrations I feel are normal, this bike really reminds me of my old AMF Sportster, especially when you goose it.

And since I have a habit of riding my bikes until they fall apart on the highway, it will be with me for a while....so have it checked correctly the first time

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I picked up the bike, the dealer included a pre-printed form that said they charge $150 for the 600 mile service. I think that is a fair price. I stopped in another dealer recently and they told me if I bring in the form, they will beat the price. Dealers are looking for the service business.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.