Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got very curious.........so i called 3 different dealerships abput the 600 mile service on a spirit 1100.

1) 1st dealer - " we like to quote about five hours labor just in case, but it may be about 4"

so I asked what they did- " Well ya know,we change the oil and examine it and everything, complete a diagnostic safety check and inspect the machine "

so you change the oil and make sure the lights all work - " well its a required honda safety check "

2) 2nd dealer - same questions , but quote of 3 to 4 hours, only couldn't tell me what they did because the bike condition determined that. Not sure how much condition there could be at 600 miles unless it was a complete lemon.

3) 3 rd dealer, Performance motorsports san juan capistrano, I mention them by name because their tech seemed to be the only one not pulling my you know what.

" we change the oil, thats a given, basically we do want to see if ya got chunks of metal in it,then we have an issue. We clean and check the brakes, sometimes they can get glazed and make some noise, generally they arn't a problem. we disconnect all the cables and lubricate them, and of course do a safety check over the bike, make sure nuts and bolts are all tightened okay.

we charge 2 hours labor, and you can do all the service yourself if you buy the oil and kits. The only benefit you get paying us to do it, we may catch if there is something wrong that you may not "

Its amazing the difference in the dealers. But at least the last one gave me a pretty straight answer

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my understanding, and I'm not a wrench myself, although I like to do basic things, the spirit 1100 deosn't need valves adjusted, they're hydraulic........

suppossedly its a pretty free maintenance bike, which is nice

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have flipped it back and forth, comfort level is important, Oil and fluids change, no problem, checking my lights for " safety " and all the nuts and bolts, no problem.

But I owuldn't mind hacing a decent tech give it the once over for its first service, make sure that all the vibrations I feel are normal, this bike really reminds me of my old AMF Sportster, especially when you goose it.

And since I have a habit of riding my bikes until they fall apart on the highway, it will be with me for a while....so have it checked correctly the first time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.