Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a brand new 2006 Spirit 750 last spring as my first bike. I love the looks of it and enjoyed riding it last season. I am 6'5" tall and a few of my friends say I look huge on this bike! I guess being tall you adjust to everything (ie. cars, ceilings) being to small/short, as I feel reasonably comfortable on it. My knees are up on the sides of the tank, so I thought about getting longer forward controls. But now I'm thinking of getting a bigger bike. The closest I could find to my bike (but bigger) is the VTX 1300c. I like the style and it isn't too much more $. By doing some research I've found that the 2 bike's measurements don't seem much different:

Spirit 750:

Wheelbase = 64.8 inches
Seat Height = 26.6 inches

VTX 1300c

Wheelbase = 65.45 inches
Seat Height = 27.46 inches

I know the VTX is bigger/beefier than the Spirit, but how much more leg room and stretched out would I feel on a VTX?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ever think about adding highway pegs to the 750? I'm only 6'2", but I know what you mean about people saying that the bike looks small. I figure if I ever get into riding longer distances, I'll put highway pegs on and stretch out a bit.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i haven't fallen prey to the american super-size-me mentality, so i've always been happy on 750s (i'm 5'11"). but i would say that my height is about max for a 750.

fitting properly on a bike is not only about comfort - it's about safety too. when you're in the twisties or when you need to make a quick emergency maneuver, the bike is part of you. the better the fit, the better you can handle it. i'd say you're too big for a 750.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am thinking VTX. The Spirit's wheel base is ( I think) 64"'s. That is pretty much what a majority of HD's are. Iknow this sounds off a bit but the Valk or Rune would be more suitable for someone 6'5". Forward controls don't allow you to quickly get up off of the seat to survive driving over objects. Something to consider.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm 6'4'' on an ACE 750 and find it just barely right, I've ridden a ss750 which is a little smaller, but it's amazing how much difference those few inches make because it just feels cramped by comparison.

Remember that it's not just about wheelbase, but seat position relative to the controls and chassis that make the fit difference. You'd definitely notice a difference with forwards since you can stretch your legs out a little.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You are just plain too tall.
Good for basketball.
Or cleaning the gutters.
Maybe surgery, remove an inch here, an inch there...
Really, all cruisers are about the same size.
They don't really get longer, just fatter and heavier.
I would do some real research in bikes with risers, forward controls, etc...
Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I am 6'5" on a Sabre 1100. This thing has me looking for floor boards and forward controls too.

You can ride a 750 cruiser being 6'5", you just need to make it fit you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am 6' 5'' and about 290lbs, I ride an 84 Shadow. It gets a liite cramped after a while but it was what I could afford for the moment. The highway pegs help, but the knee still gets stiff after a while. Still i am in the wind again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.