Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 750ace and when im going about 60-65 and up i have a shimmy in the front end. i thought my front tire was scalloped so i replaced it with a balance and still did it. i love my bike but its pissing me off any ideas on what it might be and how to correct it any help is greatly appreciated

G

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum :D

Check the pinch bolts on the triple trees. I had a couple loose ones on my ACE recently and had a shimmy. Tightened them and shimmy is gone. It could also be loose adjustment in the steering bearings (they're adjustable), loose spokes, or worn wheel bearings. Chech the pinch bolts first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a bad shimmy at around 60 on my old Norton and it was due to front wheel being out of balance. Had it rebalanced and theproblem went away.
doyal

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You might want to also check the steering head bearings. They could be loose or worn out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
AJ, that shimmy is telling you something is haywire. A bike frame is relatively rigid, and if something is loose, worn, or unbalanced, it has only one place to dump the excess energy - the hinge at the top of the frame called the steering head - causing shimmy.

The shimmy could be a combination of wheel balance, bent rim, worn shocks, loose bearing in the steering head, loose clamps, out of balance rear tire, driveline unbalance, or just bum tires.

Because yours is at a fairly high speed, I would guess something is out of balance. If it was at low speed, I would look for loose items.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts