Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come here often to look for advice, so after I have done some mods, I thought I would post some results for those who may be interested.

I have a 1998 750 Ace Deluxe. I, like many people, was a little dissapointed with the lack of power the machine has and constantly looking for 6th gear. I love the style of the bike, but it just needed more something.

When I bought the bike, the only mod it had was a set of V&H Cruzers. Nothing else. The carbs weren't even jetted.

First, I changed the rear sprocket to a 38 tooth. A DEFINITE must! I was worried about losing a lot of power, but it only lost a little umph in 4th and 5th gear, but not enough to worry about. 1st through 3rd gears were fine and it gets to highway speeds much quicker. There was no difference when starting off in first, even two up, and cruising on the interstate was really nice. 70 mph now sounds like it should. I know they say it is fine to get the rpm's up, but I like this much better. $30-$40 for a new sprocket, and a 525-120 link chain fits perfectly without having to remove links.

Next, I did the timing mod. That seemed to do a lot for the low end torque in each gear. Definitely worth the time spent. Let me say something about that mod: If you decide to do this mod, PLEASE, PLEASE remove the pulse generator from the bike BEFORE you use the dremel tool!!! Get it on the bench away from the bike! It is very easy to trace the wire and it is just a little white plug that needs to be disconnected under the plastic in front of the tank. Why take the chance of getting metal shavings inside the engine?? $5 for the dremel tool bits.

Next, I did the Valkyrie rear pillion mod. Very simple, very easy. Looks like it belongs, and the wife is happier with the bigger seat. $60 with shipping on ebay for one that looks like it has never been used. Just had to drill a couple of holes in the Valkyrie bracket and use the bracket from the original seat, and everything lines up good.

Finally, I just finished a Thunder Manufacturing air kit install. Now that made quite a difference! A definite power increase for sure. It is no 1100, but the machine now acts like it should. It has no problem carrying me and my wife, and we are not little people. Some thoughts: I live in Indiana, which is approximately 600 feet above sea level. The kit supplied is for altitudes of 0-4000 feet, so I am at the bottom end of the scale. I installed as per instructions, but there were some hesitations when I let off the throttle and reapplied it and when I shifted gears. It would sput just a little. It was running a little rich, so I dropped the needles one notch, and now it runs perfect! The kit came with 134/138 main jets and no pilot jets. The pilot screws are about 2 3/4 turns out and deceleration is good with no popping. I also removed all the California emissions garbage while I was in there so now the carbs don't look like a birds nest. I don't know about the fuel mileage yet. I will post a reply when I get a tank or two ran through. I need to quit twisting the throttle so hard and get a realistic number! :wink: Total cost for a new air kit is ~$400 or more. I found one on ebay from a guy who didn't like it for $225. Is it worth the $400? I can't say. Maybe, if I had the extra money. But it is definitely worth $225. This is the kit I installed: http://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=279 I know they list it as $209, but you also need the adapter ring and the jet kit. They are about $80-$90 each.

You can find a lot of information about these mods at this great site: SA750.com - Blacktop's ACE 750 Shop

I will post pictures when I get a chance. If you have any questions, let me know!

Bob

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After a couple of tanks, I am getting ~40 mpg or so, but there is a lot more response out of the throttle, especially in the mid range throttle position.

OK, I am going to try to upload a picture or two:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts