Honda Shadow Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Vulcan S. Trust me on this. Go eyeball one at a dealer and fanagle a test ride. You won't be sorry. Sweet, sweet engine. Plus, adjustable ergos from the factory.
Test rode 650s twice this year for about 30 minutes the first time and an hour the 2nd. I did like it but:
1. Has little rear travel and that mono-shock is awful! Ride it in any stock configuration and you will be miserable in less than 30 minutes. I know I was.
2. Ergo fit: Don't help much when the seats are like most stock seats which is about the first thing you have to replace.
3. Too lite weight for interstate I was blown all over the road.
4. Accessories are slim to none at this time.

Just go to the Kawasaki Forums and you will see that most owners are looking for new seats almost immediately. Terrible freeway bike as it just don't have the weight to make for a comfortable bike.
That being said I was impressed with the 650S in many ways and if you are going to use it as a commuter around town with the now and then use on the back roads it's great.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, I know "ain't no replacement for that displacement" - but I thought displacement shouldn't be the only consideration. Power:Weight ratio as well.
And as others have rightly pointed out - "the fit" as well. Just like purchasing a firearm, how it "feels" is just as important.

My 2002 750 Shadow Spirit is just right for me. I weigh about 170 and am 5'6". It's my 'starter bike'. It isn't too small and it isn't intimidatingly big. I don't do a whole lot of highway, inter-state 300+ mile rides. Mostly commute to work, ride down the Shore and elsewhere about as directed by my inner spirits ;-)

the power is equal to that of many cars of yesteryear (non - American made, granted) that used to move families across countries and continents, so it will move your 200lbs just fine.
When I bought Maiya, I pointed out to my Father that his second car was powered by an 800cc 3 cylinder engine while my motorcycle had 750 ccs...

and be HONEST. (you can lie to us, and we won't feel a thing. Lie to yourself, and you'll have to live with yourself - every time you get on it.)
Great quote. Gotta remember that one!

My only wish: Shaft drive. I could do without the chain noise.
I was thinking the same thing when I was going through chain-issues a while ago. But come to think of it - how easy would the sprocket modification have been with a shaft drive?
I know I LOVE my sprocket mod lol!

The one I chose for the 750 Spirit works well, it is a "Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire".
I have the same shield for similar bike. I do have a question: did you have to cut or modify the stems?

When I installed my shield, I couldn't get it to 'lean' back enough to have the wind bounce off the top of my helmet - the bottom of the stems would hit the tank on either side and restrict full movement of the handlebars on either side; so the shield was standing a lot straighter. I tried flipping the mount upside down but ran into the same problem :serious: No big deal, just annoying.
Bike is in the garage for the winter (cracked fuel line:crying:) so it'll be a spring project (plus I need a new shield anyway because I cracked the old one after I crashed the bike!)

cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Did you have to modify the windshield ?
Yes, I had to cut the end of the rods off cuz they were hitting my gas tank too.

Just be careful to only cut a little off at a time until you got it right where you know you want it to stay forever. Once it shoots the air "over your helmet" and you know it is going to stay in that spot you can cur it about 1/2 to 1 inch past the clamp if you want. I don't like the wind bouncing off top of helmet cuz it bounces the helmet around too. Try for an inch or two over the helmet.

I wound up cutting it flush with the bar clamp once I thought I had it right. . Thank God I had it right cuz there ain't no more adjusting upward. Next one I'll leave at least a bit more I case it needs to go up more.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Beside that's one fine looking bike. It would be hard to find another that looks more handsome. Oh where did you find those hard bags? They are perfect on a Shadow 750, I've looked at many and some seem too big or the style looks wrong or they are too small, too skinny too fat, But yours look just right. :nerd:
Thank you very much Frankie! :grin2: it means a lot coming from someone with such a fine Bike himself!

I tired my hardest to make my Bike look the way i wanted it too, and it
cost a small fortune actually, but it was and is some of the best fun i have had in my life to date....

Thank you kind Sir 0:)

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
^^^^^
I believe the valve core is the same size on a tube as it is on a tubeless version. They go in the tire after the bead is set. ;)
I had heard that they were problem in tubed tire. Glad to talk to someone using them successfully in a tube, I was a little reluctant to do that tube to tubeless mod with calming, etc.

Looks like the beads go in this weekend. The tires are balanced now, but weights do have problems of their own and the beads can fine tune and insure the tires will still be balanced if the weights come off or shift.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Thank you very much Frankie! :grin2: it means a lot coming from someone with such a fine Bike himself!

I tired my hardest to make my Bike look the way i wanted it too, and it
cost a small fortune actually, but it was and is some of the best fun i have had in my life to date....

Thank you kind Sir 0:)
I'm with FrankieAce where did you find those bags ? Haven't seen any that nice and still plenty room like that. The whole package really looks good and functionality saved.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I'm with FrankieAce where did you find those bags ? Haven't seen any that nice and still plenty room like that. The whole package really looks good and functionality saved.

My saddlebags are the National Cycle N1100's.

Got them on Ebay for $175 and they came with the Mounting Brackets and duffle bags. The seller really didnt list them in a way for everyone to see them, he said they fit the VTX1800N, didnt mention any other bikes. It was an auction listing that started out at $175, and i ended up being the only bidder. I also used Esnipe to bid for me at the last seconds of the auction.

Thank you

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
31 Participants
Bobolto
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing