Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a bobber, hard tail frame most everything Harley except engine. 83 750 dual carb. Want to strip wire harness down to almost nothing, just the meat and potatoes. Can I omit the cdi boxes? Run with alt.reg coil and plugs? Never worked with these things before.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm building a bobber, hard tail frame most everything Harley except engine. 83 750 dual carb. Want to strip wire harness down to almost nothing, just the meat and potatoes. Can I omit the cdi boxes? Run with alt.reg coil and plugs? Never worked with these things before.
You can get them simpler, but not that simple, with the electronic crank triggered ignition you need some kind of ignition box to fire the coils and you may as well use what you have unless you have a few hundred dollars for a replacement system and the time to sort it out.

Chuck Michigan took the time to put together a minimum wiring diagram for these purposes a few months ago and it is supposed to be here: https://www.hondashadow.net/threads/wiring-diagram-for-bobbers.570358/#post-5464568
But the link to the diagram appears broken to my computer. Maybe check with Spiritman to see if it is a site problem since the move or possibly Chuck Michigan will kindly repost it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yes your right I just figured that out with a buddy of mine. Been 30 years since I built my last bike, a little rusty around the knuckles. Cheers eh

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thanks Chuck!
For some reason or other I could not see the one you previously posted, I haven't figured out why yet.
It looks pretty complicated compared to the magneto ignition and kill switch setups of my youth, life was simpler then. (-;

That diagram, while their are some wiring differences between years and models, it gives a good basis for setting up the minimum wiring for almost any Shadow.
From there it is pretty easy to visualize adding switched and/or unswitched supplies to a a fuse box and branching out to whatever other stuff a person could want.

I take it the grounded L/g/R and the G/W wires at the ICM are for the original start and ignition safety overrides and could be used for such purposes again?

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
When a guy asks about basic wiring, I alway chuckle about that.
YOU DON'T NEED ANY OF THAT OLD STUFF.
Just rip it all off and paint it real pretty and sit in in the living room to admire a Honda bobber.
Oh wait you want to ride it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts