Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've searched and found this question a few times here but never really seen anything that directly answers what I'm about to ask:

I have a KNOCK in the lower portion of the engine (sort of near the bottom of the front jug where it meets the crankcase, on the right side). It's most noticeable at idle, in neutral, with the clutch engaged (hand off the lever). Pulling in the clutch quiets it slightly, putting it in gear makes it disappear almost entirely. Bringing up the RPM might quiet it a very little, but it's not a significant change. It doesn't seem to matter if the engine is warm or cold either. It's definitely not lifters rattling, I have that too and know what they sound like.

I also have a leaking water pump, so I'm going to have to pull the engine yet again, and if I have something that could be harming the engine, I'll rebuild it while it's out (though money may interrupt that at some point).

Anyway, just looking for thoughts on what this could be. I've rebuilt the top end, with new gaskets and seals, but I've never gotten into the crankcase.

·
Registered
748 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is a worn connecting rod or possibly wrist pin. Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*sigh* I JUST put that top end back together from the heads upwards, looks like I'll be taking it apart again and going further down now. Since it doesn't look I'll be riding soon, maybe I'll take it all the way to the frame and paint it up and get the heads machined and the cylinders rebored to get rid of the score marks inside..... better yet, I might just take off the headlight, drive a new bike under it and reinstall the headlight so I can tell the wife I haven't REALLY bought a new bike.

Thanks for the replies, it's sort of what I was afraid of, but I'd never actually heard this sort of knock before and wasn't sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts