Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally fixed every other issue that the bike could throw at me. But now I am having an issue with the bike running very hot from the first minute, after I changed coolant. And the temperature gauge keeps going up even with just the ignition on. With the engine on, the needle goes way past the red zone. The fan works fine as it does come on, I did the bleeding as well. I can't quite understand what's going on with it now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
has the thermostat ever been changed? I run a Napa THM80. It fit in place and doesn't have the extra piece for cars. Also I cut the jiggle valve out. Also when you changed the coolant, did you run water to flush the system and the radiator? Also run water on the fins outside the radiator and clear the road grime from it.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,398 Posts
So, I finally fixed every other issue that the bike could throw at me. But now I am having an issue with the bike running very hot from the first minute, after I changed coolant. And the temperature gauge keeps going up even with just the ignition on. With the engine on, the needle goes way past the red zone. The fan works fine as it does come on, I did the bleeding as well. I can't quite understand what's going on with it now.
How did it run before you changed the coolant?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
KingsShadow, everything is original on the bike, nothing has been changed when I bought it last year. I made some changes to it. Could it be because of those changes? I removed the stock air intake, the coolant reservoir, and I have moved the tachometer on the right side which is closer to the exhaust pipe.
And no, I didn't do any of the things you mentioned. I had to change the coolant as I pulled off the hose by accident and it flushed all the coolant.

Chuck-Michigan, it wasn't running this hot before, and the temperature gauge was working fine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You say you “removed the coolant reservoir”. I say “won’t work without it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonerydin, I replaced the coolant reservoir with that red fire extinguisher attached on the left side.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Gonerydin, I replaced the coolant reservoir with that red fire extinguisher attached on the left side.
I sense this could still be an issue. How hard would it be to replace the original reservoir and try it?

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,042 Posts
Does the line to the coolant reservoir go inside of the extinguisher bottle? Important that it does, that hose needs to have the end submerged in coolant because of the way the system can bleed off air, if the tube just connects to the top of the extinguisher style reservoir and doesn’t go down into the coolant then the system will suck up air any time it’s trying to suck coolant. Even if you perfectly bleed your coolant system without the reservoir properly connected you will suck air back into the system from the bottle.

Reactions: Chuck_Michigan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't started the bike since last night, and that is now just with the ignition on. The engine is not even running.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sense this could still be an issue. How hard would it be to replace the original reservoir and try it?

The original cracked in the process of taking it out, so I threw it away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats how it's connected.
But the bike started heating up from the first minute.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wonder if the sending unit in the thermostat housing is bad, and sending false reading to the gage to make you think the engine is overheating... if you disconnect the single wire from the sensor, does the needle still travel? Might have a break in the wire that is grounding it and sending the gauge to overheat. Just a thought here...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wonder if the sending unit in the thermostat housing is bad, and sending false reading to the gage to make you think the engine is overheating... if you disconnect the single wire from the sensor, does the needle still travel? Might have a break in the wire that is grounding it and sending the gauge to overheat. Just a thought here...
I did fiddle around with the wires when I changed the location of the tachometer. That could be a possibility.

Now it has started backfiring too. 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
261 Posts
That could be the issue. If the gage is reading overheating, and the bike is running fine. Except the back firing now

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,398 Posts
Regarding the reservoir hose? Yes. And I attached the picture for reference.
No, he asked you if the end of the hose inside the extinguisher is submerged in the coolant inside the extinguisher. If it's not submerged at all times in the coolant, then it is not working, period.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, he asked you if the end of the hose inside the extinguisher is submerged in the coolant inside the extinguisher. If it's not submerged at all times in the coolant, then it is not working, period.
The hose is connected to the nipple and the nipple is connected to the hollow rod that's inside the extinguisher and submerged in coolant. But it might be sucking some air through a hole on top which I have blocked with a screw. But I have noticed some coolant leaking from that part. But it's really mild.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts