Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently changed my fuel filter - which was FULL of crud, and I'm still having problems with starting. It isn't the plugs, the battery or the starter - and once it fires up, it runs great. My first question is this -
1. Does the fuel pump run constantly, and is it possible that some of the junk from the filter got into it? Can I clean it out, or do I have to get a new one?
2. If I pull the carbs as a unit, do I have to necessarily do a sync, or can I take the float needles out, clean out the floats, clean the jets etc. and put it all back together without ever separating the carbs?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im Opposite

I'm having the exact opposite issue. Picked up my 83VT750C early this summer. At first I had start issues because of low cranking amps in the "good" battery. It actually carried enough volts, just would start consistantly without a jump. Ran ok afterwards, but had idle problems.

I had Carbs cleaned, Plugs, Fluids, Filters changed as well as a new batt. Starts up great Idles great, but is very cold natured and wants to be warm before being responsive to throttle. I have ben experiencing some hesitation and response in all gears within the last few weeks and it has been recommended, that I chk the Sync to see if carbs are performing in tandem as needed. I will add that mine seems like a fuel starve condition because of surges in diff areas of the powerband. I'm going to inspect all fuel lines asa well because when I changed Fuel filter at least one connector piece fell apart, so I may be getting fuel line collapse under pressure. I'll dig into it this week.

Have you ran any Fuel treatments? Seafoam, B12

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did run some seafoam - but it didn't do a lot for me. I finally pulled my carbs (a lot easier than I feared) - and found my problem - a bit of "varnish" - fuel that had hardened on one of my pilot (air mixture) screws. It was crazy how huge of a difference that made on my bike's performance. I also ended up having an issue with my main fuse (30 amp right below the battery) - it was badly rusted and nearly disintegrated, and I was getting intermittent power through that. I currently have a piece of 12 gauge copper wire in it's place - but will pick up a replacement for $2 at the bike shop tomorrow. I also took my fuel pump apart and cleaned out a small amount of gunk - don't know if that was causing any of the problems. I hope you get it worked out and running worry free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried seafoam on a recommendation, but then switched to Berrymans b12, its cheaper and the main ingrediant is tuolene anyway. I run it in every 4th or 5th tank. I ran hard on the way home and have figured out the the high powerband is fine. It happens when my RPM are low no matter what gear that I'm in with hesitation and odd surges. I believe this will lead me to the Slow Jet as having an issue, but I also want to rule out bad gas lines or debris in the lines especially near fuel cutoff. I'm gonna try to ride this 83 to 100K by the end of next Summer !!!

I too am proud to ride a egg beater !! Puttin my Slip Stream S-02 Tint on this weekend. Cant wait to ride cold !! I'll ride well into the fall...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.