Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am currently rebuilding my 83 vt750 motor and I am looking into finding a running motor that I can drop in with little to no modification and get riding again. I found this 85 1100 motor on ebay that looks very similar in design to my 83 and has similar mounting points. Is there anyone here that has successfully swapped motors for a later year/bore??
This is the one I'm looking at: 85 1985 Honda VT1100 VT 1100 Shadow Engine Motor 2487 | eBay

And this is mine:

I have found a few others, but this one looks to be the most promising. Feel free to drop in and comment or make suggestions, just looking to find any possible solutions. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
I wouldn't thiink an 1100 would fit in the 750 frame. You can't just look at the mounting locations. The 1100 is wider and taller then a 750.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nobody I've talked to has thought it was a bolt-on possibility. Barrels are taller and wider on the 1100 so the motor mounts and frame might have to be modified. But no one I've talked to has ever actually tried to see how it fits, so... Anything is possible with fab skills I suppose.

·
Registered
233 Posts
well, well, well, i love being a pioneer. Once i make this vt750 my secondary ride, guess who's gunna get crazy! I've also been thinking about a stroke and poke mod, has anyone thought about expanding the cc with the existing motor?

·
Registered
233 Posts
oh btw, how'd the rebuild go? i'm going to be changing rings and valve seals next week, cause there is way too much oil coming out of my front exhaust.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh btw, how'd the rebuild go? i'm going to be changing rings and valve seals next week, cause there is way too much oil coming out of my front exhaust.
My rebuild has been on hold for a few months... I have too many bikes and they all need some sort of maintenance or repair and the shadow keeps getting put back unfortunately. I tried buying a replacement motor just for the time being and cuz it was super cheap, but it has a cracked water pump anyways so that didn't work out. All I really need to do with my rebuild at this point is check the crank bearing shell clearances and order up the new ones and then reassemble the motor. Need to get myself a good mic tho, I don't trust my digital calipers and they're all I got right now. I'm hoping to get back on track with the shadow before the end of summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts