Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive read the posts and learned a lot but my question still is: would I benefit from using a MOSFET system like roastercycle.com sells since I'm not going to add any electronics save maybe a cigarette lighter to charge my phone. I mean the original just failed after 30k miles and 30 years... So it can't be too poorly made. Now if I go with stock can I use any sold on eBay that have the sh556-12? Or does it have to be the sh556-12 2.0? For instance would one off a 85 500 work?

I just had to get new tires and it's that time of year so every dollar counts. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,843 Posts
If you need to change it go with the MOSFET. There are some good post here on replacing it, just do a search.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If i were to replace one I would replace with a aftermarket unit. Mosfet or otherwise. 1. Quality wise aftermarket is JUST as good as OEM. 2 Aftermarket Cost less.

I too have never had issue with OEM regulator in 30 years of Hondas all using basically the same regulators. I have seen and address weaknesses in the OEM electrical system. Weakness that are COMMON to MOST motorcycles and many cars and truck. The only RR I have had fail was on a CB1100C Full Dresser. Tons of lights, radios and other toys, NOT intended for use on a motorcycle finally fried the charging system, after 75,000 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts