Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new to me 83 vt750c and I need to rebuild the carbs, I bought it from a guy who gave up before he could put a rebuilt starter in and now the carb needles are stuck.

confirmed the pump works by pulling off the fuel lines and there’s wet gas on the barbs, I have it almost disassembled but before I commit to this, is there anything I need to look out for? I tried rebuilding some mikunis on a 1400 intruder and got a world of hurt when I cracked a float post and saw how much carbs cost for that bike. secondly, is the middle tube to the carb gang just a float bowl vent?

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,022 Posts
These carbs aren't really that difficult as long as you take your time and be prepared to take them on and off more than once. Replace the float valve the rest can usually be easily cleaned, just make sure you can see clearly through all the jets. Chemtron makes a good carb cleaner but keep it away from any rubber parts. Your diaphragms for your main jets need be checked carefully for cracks or tears or just brittleness. There are companies that make replacement diaphragms. Keep track of your a/f mixture screws original settings. There are a number of videos you there you can watch about rebuilding cv carbs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's weird is that i'm getting fresh clean gas into my floats as I opened the drains but when cranking I have no juice at all. that said my choke is frozen so I'm going to have to rebuild anyway. Thanks for the info. These carbs look like a bit of a pain to get back on but nothing is worse then a Magna carbs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I’ve been using starting fluid and it’ll burn that off and immediately die. I noticed the left pod isn’t getting sucked upwards on cranking so that’s enough right there to warrant a rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, clean-looking bike. Makes me jealous! 😄. What happens when you put a tablespoon of gasoline into each cylinder and try starting it?
Also thanks for the words, a friend had this bike and gave me mates rates of $750. He rebuilt the starter which I had to install. He sold it on the condition that I would leave it alone and not cafe/bob it which I plan to keep it stock.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,198 Posts
I like your friend. I’m biased because that was my adolescence, but the ‘80s metric cruisers and muscle bikes are really hard to beat in terms of looks! I’ve seen a few early Shadow 750 bobbers that were done decently, but way more bad ones. And even more that get abandoned or junked in the middle of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts