Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got $300.00 worth of "parts" from the dealer Friday. It took about 2 good hrs to remove engine. Got it up on bench for teardown, that will be another day. My 19m.o. helper had enough...pics later.

Engine had about 120 in front cyl, 100 in rear...PSI compression test that is.

Decided (blindly, I might add) it's most probably stock, get std rings, and gasket set and go through it. It had serious oil leak at rear of front cyl to block gasket.

Pics and updates as they come.....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have an 84 VT700c, all I really have to say is get help putting the engine back in, it is a real p.i.t.a getting the engine to line up to get the big long rear mounting bolt back in, once it is in its all pretty much down hill from there.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Few more pic's.....nothin else they will be good for reference in the future.

Couple of quick questions I can think of.......

Clutch shim's....see new thread in Tech Discussion.
Shouldn't that new o-ring seal that coolant tube in head...remove all that blue silicone, surely?
I think the valves were leaking bad, causing low compression...Tips, tricks, idea's/something I don't know about LAPPING them in. Did this plenty of times b4, just wondered.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, got all of it back together yesterday. Pic's of that later.

Initial start-up took a few minutes, guess it needed to get fuel up to carbs. Anyway, once she fired up, sounded like it was only runnin on one cyl. That smoothed out and the other got some gas (i guess) after a minute or so. Around the block for "first run". LOT'S OF POWER, I mean very strong. Now, here's the "new" issues...

Clutch seems way worse than before teardown. It slips like crazy. Twisting throttle (aggressively) will rev engine/burn clutch every time. I doubt if spring shims alone is gonna fix this...... good thing it's Friday....bye bye paycheck.....

Also decided, since it's all legal with plates/insurance, let's ride this thing HOME today. 58 degrees, no windshield, brakes SUCK, etc.
This bike is night/day different than my 1100. You set and "ride" much different. This thing handles like a rice rocket compared to the 1100.

About 1/2 way home (28 miles total) it got just over 1/2 way up on the temp gauge....not HOT, just close. Stopped to put on the gloves in my jacket pocket, noticed coolant coming out of overflow tube on remote reservoir/overfill. It's only a little, and gauge comes back down (stay's down) the rest of the way home.

In the driveway and up on the side walk for inspection..... Well kiss my A$$, cam cover (the one w/o gasket) is leaking just a bit of oil:evil:. Here and there.....very little....i can "deal" with it, I GUESS!

Rear brake cable to stop switch....is MISSING! I actually thought that switch might be for center stand! LOL. Guess I better get one of those IF I don't want RAN OVER.

It's very obvious, this bike NEEDS more fuel. As Justin would claim..HOLY CRAP, LEAN. Now, I can't (yet) "get on it hard" cause all it'll do it burn the clutch, but it want's more gas..I can feel it. Plug reading verify my thoughts.

MAYBE, I can find time for the carbs/jet kit this weekend.
Here's my "new" to-do list...

Front rear brakes
Carbs "fixed"
Clutch kit/springs, shims, etc.

Couple of questions.... Seems like the throttle "slides" are slow to return. Not terrible, just a second or so before RPM's drop (even THEN, they/it "comes down" over a few seconds).... I know this isn't right, my 1100 is INSTANT. What exactly is causing this?

O.D. light doesn't work.

Front Right signal has runnin light, but NO "blinker". Checked bulb, looks good...socket however has short/bad connection. All other lights work correctly.

Other threads currently being discussed on shifting issues with these bike's has me thinking.... I'm gonna cut/add/weld longer shifter lever on this bike. I have adjusted it's position 3 times and they all SUCK. The lever is too short (therefore close to foot peg) to get foot under,....... move it up (clockwise lookin at it) and it's WAY TOO high. Looks/Seems to me like it's just too short! Idea's/Experience on this....... All of em from factory are the same, right? I can't be the only one to think this???

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

1st Side Complete, Now rear cyl......

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Nice :) Keep up the good work and writeups and pics! Yes, I agree, I'd like my shift lever to be about an inch longer. Fits nicely with my sneakers but not with my boots.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 11 of 11 Posts