Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 84 Shadow vt700 for a great deal. I knew the bike wasn't firing on the rear cylinder and smelled gas in the oil. After me taking the crank cases off to check everything I found the cdi was the issue due to bad wiring I put the cases back together with silicone for a temporary fix put 10w40 in it bike started fine until I went to put it in gear it went in gear but it was so tight felt way wrong took the left cover off and installed the shifter peg to check the trans felt great all gears worked only sticks if the left crank cases is on all the bolts are in the correct location on the case but I'm at a stand still. Thanks if anyone could help me

Attachments

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
"felt tight" can be a relative phrase. I do know that my 84 had the tightest transmission of any bike I've ever ridden. Hard to find neutral at times, definitely went into 1st with a clunk. Talking to others, I think that might just be the bike itself. As I re-read your post, are you saying it feels quite a bit different when you have the cases all buttoned up? If so, I'm at a loss.... sorry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Works when the case is off.
No mention of problem with shaft sliding back through the case when reassembling.
Has the case been damaged or have denting? As the case is tightened into place, it sounds like there is binding.
If the case is ok, has the shaft been bent/warped (maybe bent during a drop?) and is causing some binding?
When you remount the case, are you having to force it in one direction to fit into position?
Just thinking out loud (ok, typing).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the interest no cases are fine and in spec so is the shaft when I received the bike the shifter worked properly and yes I'm fimiliar with how natrually tight these bikes trans are and it is beyond too tight it will not release gears and go back to the netrual position do you think the little gasket that the gearshifter goes through could've swelled do the the gas in the engine?

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
This is the only area effected when the cover squeezes back on. Is it the same as the picture with no extra washers on the shaft?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep completely the same in the diagram no weird extras or bends I'm at a loss this bike is whooping my butt lol

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I don't have a manual for your bike, but if you pulled the shift shaft out, make sure something didn't get in behind it when you reinserted it. In fact, i'd check all the holes that any shaft gets reinserted in to. You'd got something binding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope didn't pull it out that's what's making it seem so weird it's common to get the teeth misaligned and all that but there perfect

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
Just a possibility but did one of the dowels fall out when taken off and when it is being put back on it is shifting slightly ? Not sure it could move off center enough to cause a bind but just pondering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the case it put back on it will shift but it's like moving a mountain ho much pressure has to be used when the case is off feels perfect when it's on also does not go back to center due to a bind or tightness of something

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a idea might be wrong but do you think not having the factory gasket might be over tightening the o ring gasket that the shifter goes through I don't know just a thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts